New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

adding fish after powder blue tang

Started by jon1985, October 01, 2012, 04:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon1985

Hey guys,

I am considering adding a powder blue tang to my 220 fish only tank.  It would be the last tang in but not the last fish.  I would be adding 2-3 banner fish, 4-6 anthias, and a few wrasses. 

Do you think this would be an issue or should it be ok considering they arent the same species.

Thoughts?

experience?

Greatwhite

I'm not sure if you'll have issues with Bannerfish, since they have a similar shape to a tang...  But, it is a 220 so space is definitely not going to be an issue...  If I was a betting man, I'd say you'd be perfectly fine.

Anthias and Wrasse can go in after Tangs no problem.  They are fast, and pose no threat to Tangs.

Again.. 220... you would probably not even have any problems adding that Tang's evil twin.

Greatwhite

I just read that Bannerfish will eat your corals - so watch for that..  If you keep coral, that is...

jon1985

Im not to worried about banner fish eating corals.  Its a fish only so there isnt any coral to eat.

Hookup

if you're worried about aggression, I use a mirror in the tank (well on the out side).

I had a piece of mirror (12x12 approx) cut for this purpose.  I just push it on the side of the tank, the BPT see's his reflection and is much ore angry about that guy... i slip in the new fish... about 2hrs later I remove the mirror... repeat once more if necessary (happened once, never again)..

jon1985

I will keep that in mind.  The other thing I can do if need be is block off a section of the tank with egg crate and this would allow smaller fish a chance to ge taway if need be.

Hookup

My worry with egg crate is the fish hurtin themselves onthe plastic. It's not forgiving for anything that would rub against it too often

Gluck

jon1985

thats true.  Well hopefully it wont be an issue I need to try and resolve.