Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Dual Stage Regulator Build

Started by daworldisblack, October 05, 2012, 02:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

I know some of you wanted to see a build thread for this so here it is :p Ever since my first regulator build with the crew, have been itching to get a dual-stage one for my shrimp tank project - finer control with a precise needle valve and no end co2 dump were absolutely necessary.

My friends were going down to the states and I managed to scour some of the forums there and gathered some parts for a dual-stage regulator build. Shipped it to them and they brought them up for me. Got myself:
- A dual Stage Victor regulator (HPT 270C) [NEW]
- Burkertt 6011 Stainless Steel Solenoid [USED]
- Stainless Steel 'S' series Swagelok needle valve [NEW]
- Stainless Steel Fittings [New]

First thing I noticed was that my solenoid was not oriented properly. Had to reorientate it so that when set up, it would flow from 'P' -> 'A'.

Unscrewed..

Then put back together in the correct manner.

Wiring the solenoid. I cut the original end of the power adapter off and wired up the solenoid. A matter of inserting the wire into the correct holes and tightening up the little screws to keep the wire in place.

Closer look.

Close to being done.

All put back together.

Mock set-up : Regulator > 1/4 to 1/8 npt bushing >1/8 close thread nipple > Burkert Solenoid, demo > 1/8 male to 1/8 female npt elbow > Needle/metering valve

Some teflon tape on before putting the parts together.

Piece by piece all put together.

Going to do a leak test but need to get a 5LB tank first! If only they did not only open on weekdays  >:(
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bettabreeder

That's one awesome (and heavy) regulator!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exv152

Nice job Rah! I think you've outdone every planted tank guy here in Ottawa. Now, all you need is one of these bad boys http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184701&highlight=polished.
8)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on October 05, 2012, 09:18:19 AM
Nice job Rah! I think you've outdone every planted tank guy here in Ottawa. Now, all you need is one of these bad boys http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184701&highlight=polished.
8)

Haha.. having a pimped up regulator doen't make one 'outdo' anyone haha. Dont think I can hold a candle to the pioneers and seasoned pros just yet but thanks for the support  :P And that is one shiny tank! lol. I'm looking to get one from Pyromateck and I doubt they got one like this haha

daworldisblack

Seeing the post on quality valves, I realized I forgot to update my thread as well - these are indeed pretty sweet metering valves. I bet anyone who has it is pleased with them. I have changed my configuration to accommodate 2 Parker HR3 valves. Also I updated my Burkert 6011 to the 2822 - supposedly it runs cooler but admittedly I only wanted something shiny and new haha. I have it set up this way now to split my 20Lbs co2 tank's output between 2 tanks. Having the same types of metering valve helps ensure that I can adjust the bubble count more precisely. Anyways here are the pics:

Top View

The Metering valves parallel to eachother

The Solenoid - notice the small form factor

Close up

exv152

I have two of those parker metering valves and I think they're great. Maybe even too precise, because you have to be real patient when adjusting the bubble count. Nice regulator Rah! Two stage regulators are getting harder and harder to find online these days without paying an arm and a leg.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Nice build, should last an eternity  ;)

magnosis

Sweeeeeeet!

LOL I should have paid for the extended upgrade plan when I got your other solenoid  ;D  ;D ;D

charlie

Rah is that  burkert in your build the one I have?

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on May 01, 2014, 12:29:13 PM
Rah is that  burkert in your build the one I have?

Yep thats the one!

charlie

I would love to borrow one of those laser temp. guns to test the temp on the same burkert vs the clippard mme & probably your 2 watt burkert.
My finger  ;)don`t feel much difference between the 4 watt burkert & the clippard 6.5 watt

sas

Too bad I wasn't closer I have one that I use for my tortoises, I'd lend it to
you in a heartbeat.

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on May 01, 2014, 01:14:47 PM
I would love to borrow one of those laser temp. guns to test the temp on the same burkert vs the clippard mme & probably your 2 watt burkert.
My finger  ;)don`t feel much difference between the 4 watt burkert & the clippard 6.5 watt

Haha -i'd like to know the values too!

lucius

Quote from: charlie on May 01, 2014, 01:14:47 PM

The clippard you sold me runs at ~75 degrees.

charlie

Quote from: lucius on May 01, 2014, 10:37:21 PM
The clippard you sold me runs at ~75 degrees.
Thanks Brian.
Do you have a temp gun?

lucius