New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pace of adding fish and yellow tangs

Started by dnas17, October 07, 2012, 07:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnas17

Hey everyone

Recently I added my first two fish to my new 75 gallon saltwater aquarium (two clowns). As of now I have about 35 pounds of live rock in there and I was wondering what is a good pace to add my new fish at? So when the next ones can go in and about how many fish can my 35 pounds hold (I have about 40 more pounds of dry rock in there btw, waiting for it to turn live) so when would be a good time to add new fish without hurting my system ( I added the fish friday). I also was wondering if my 75 gallon tank would be able to house a single yellow tang. I believe the yellow tang is a beautiful fish and I would LOVE to have one. I have aquascaped my tank so that there is a good amount of room for fish to move around so I don't think the tang would be low on places to swim but I just want to confirm with people on here. Thanks!

Darth

So I believe min recommendations for a tang is 100 gal that being said I am sure you could get away with if for a while, keep in mind the fish may outgrow the tank and then you would have to pass him on. As far as adding more fish I would wait at least 2 weeks, give the clowns time to help cycle the tank, is there anything else in the tank as far as livestock ie clean up crew, are you running a sump? skimmer? levels okay ?

dnas17

I am fine if a few years down the road I have to pass on the tang to a more suitable home. I do have a CUC in there 7 snails 7 crabs and a cleaner shrimp. all levels are good and a skimmer is going to be added this week.

Greatwhite

Minimum tank size I've heard/read is 60ish for yellow tangs..  75 should be fine.

I would wait for your tank to be a little more established before adding one.. ie/ your "dry dead rock turning live" should be done before you add a tang.  They can be very sensitive, as lots of people new to saltwater have found.

Also, save the tang for last in your fish list. They are readily available at most fish shops.  Instead, keep your eyes open for less available fish who will be compatible with a yellow tang later on.  Tangs can be aggressive toward new additions sometimes...

dnas17

Sounds good, I've heard it will take about 2-3 more weeks for the dry rock to be live again is this true? (as of today its been in there for a week)