Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A Lesson Learned

Started by smalltownfan, October 12, 2012, 02:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltownfan

I bought a beautiful little BTA for Aubrey's (my 3.5 yr old g-daughter) 9.9g Nano at FT. I did a very slow drip to get it ready. When I released it, it was fully opened and immediately started walking? around looking for the "perfect spot'. This went on for 24 hours. But, I did not realize it would also check out the back wall where the intake for the filter was.
I came home yesterday and the tank looked like someone had poured in a glass of milk. The BTA was being crammed through the intake. Unfortunately D.O.A.    R.I.P.
Quick water change, rinsed the filter media, put in the skimmer from the 29g Nano, bag of carbon AND A SPONGE ON THE INTAKE!
Today, the tank is clear and seems OK.
This is a weird hobby.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Greatwhite

Those things will get into the weirdest places...  Ritteri Anemones bring it to a whole other level by inflating and riding the current to some new place - and that can result in a seemingly "out of the way" powerhead turning into a chop-o-matic death machine.

robt18

Nems love finding the worst places to get into.....

Watch out with the sponge in the intake, you 1. won't want to decrease your water flow too much, and 2. Sponges tend to be nitrate builders, watch the levels in the coming weeks!

This is the problem with creatures with legs, but no eyes or brains  :-X

Greatwhite

I had a hermit crab scale the overflow, and SOMEHOW get up the pipe and into the bubble trap in my Aqueon proflex sump last week.  It was a constant ratta-tat-tat as it rattled around in there until I shopvac'd him out.  There was no other way to get him :(

Lots of critters will end up where they are not supposed to be.

xenon

The more you read the forums, the more you learn from other peoples mistakes.

I much prefer learning lessons from others. :)

Cheebs

Quote from: xenon on October 13, 2012, 01:20:41 PM
The more you read the forums, the more you learn from other peoples mistakes.

I much prefer learning lessons from others. :)

Don't we all!