New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My first synodontis multipunctatus fry!

Started by FishBuddy, October 17, 2012, 12:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishBuddy

There's a big surprise in my 72G african tank this evening!

The tank houses a group of breeding copadichromis borleyi (huge fish! 7+ inch), 7 compressiceps, 7 ventralis, a couple of albino peacocks and 8 synodontis multipunctatus.

When I was inspecting my tank a few minutes ago, I noticed something small wiggling beneath a big rock.  I was shocked as I don't have any small fish in this tank.  I stripped my c. borleyis all the time otherwise it would be a snack for the other occupants.  I used my flashlight to get a closer look and I just can't believe my eyes!

A synodontis multipunctatus fry that's a little less than 1cm in length !

I've seen in many occassions where the female synos releases her eggs and they was all eaten up by the larger guys; especially the compressiceps.  But somehow, this one fertilized-egg must have lodged somewhere in the rock work and managed to hatch and survived to this size.  I guesstimate the age of the fry is no more than 3 weeks old.

I frantically grab a couple of nets and managed to get him/her out of the tank before being consumed by hungry cichlids.  It's swimming happily now in a growout tank along with the c. borleyi fry.  I'll post a picture later on as lighting is not so good for pictures at the moment.

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

daworldisblack

Congrats! Always exciting to have babies!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

sas

exv152

Good thing you caught it when you did, I think it stands a much better chance of surviving now. Good luck!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

FishBuddy

Finally able to snap photo of the little guy....

[/li]

bitterman

sas

Aweeeeeeeeee what a cutie and look at that nice big belly :D.
Good catch!

FishBuddy

In case you are wondering what happened to that cute little guy, he is a big boy now :)  He is around 3.5 inch long and have joined his big family a year ago.   This is what he looks like today...

[/li]