New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Clickity Clack... Clickity Clack - says my Hermits

Started by Greatwhite, November 02, 2012, 03:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

I have an Aqueon Proflex sump... And at the end of my drain line is a bubble trap that overflows into 2 socks. 

A couple months ago, a hermit crap climbed up my corner overflow and hopped into it... Somehow, he got sucked into the drain line and ended up in the bubble trap...  I lasted about 4hrs listening to "clickity clack" as it bounced around.  There was no way to get my hand in there to get him, so I used a shopvac and sucked him out... Or so I thought.

After a month or so, I started hearing the clicking again.  But it was not constant.  So I didn't investigate.

Last week, it started getting annoying again - so today, I did the shop vac trick again.  I found 2 hermits in there.  I pulled them out of the cannister, and saw that they were still alive - and angry.  I tossed them in a cup of aquarium water to rinse off any dirt from the vacuum, and tossed them back in the aquarium.

They both went their separate ways, and will probably never speak of the month they spent tumbling around in each others' embrace...  (one DID say "I wish I could quit you!")

I don't know what I can do to prevent this from happening again... I guess I could put a screen over the top of the overflow??  What a pain :(