New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anenome diet

Started by Mike62, November 12, 2012, 02:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike62

I have been feeding my bubble tip anenome silversides for the past few months, and is doing fine. However, the LFS does not have any in stock right now. Can I go to a grocery store and buy some cod, or halibut or tilupia and feed chunks of that to him?
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Mike62

cheesy low grade grocery store has no shrimp. anything else?

JetJumper

do they have frozen raw shrimp?  you can use that.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Mike62

Found the frozen raw shrimp. Do I have to rip the shell off, or can I just toss the whole piece in?

xenon

Quote from: Mike62 on November 12, 2012, 04:50:40 PM
Found the frozen raw shrimp. Do I have to rip the shell off, or can I just toss the whole piece in?

I would remove the shell.

yellowtang

If you really want to find fresh shrimp or even silversides
Head to T&T. They carry many fresh sea food delicasies.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

Mike62

I learned a lesson today. An anenome does not need one whole shrimp. Next time, I will remember to cut it in two. I dont think it was happy. Its full, but likely not happy.

Cheebs

Quote from: Mike62 on November 12, 2012, 06:58:27 PM
I learned a lesson today. An anenome does not need one whole shrimp. Next time, I will remember to cut it in two. I dont think it was happy. Its full, but likely not happy.

Ahaha yeah I found that out when I first started feeding mine shrimp. I usually cut the shrimp in 3 myself, depending on their size :)

bitterman

Frozen mysis and krill will also work.

Bruce

Darth

I don't even feed mine they eat whatever I feed the tank, I don't give them anyting special

xenon

I feed mine 1/4 silversides per feeding.

It's more than enough.

gvv

For several years I'm feeding my RBTA and Ritteri anemones with frozen raw shrimp from Costco. Probably half a shrimp per week. Never removed the shell from shrimp. I read somewhere that the shell contains elements that maybe required

During the week, my clowns share what they catch during feeding with anemones. If you have a good light and clowns, you probably don't even need to directly feed the anemone...

bandit

I feed mine fresh raw shrimp from the grocery store, I cut it up into peanut size pieces that way it's easier for them and the other tank inhabitants don steal all of it lol. Keep the shell on..

I also feed krill and I feed my fish with a turkey blaster as to not waste, with that I target feed the anemone what ever I'm feeding that day.

moused

I feed mine Frozen mysis and krill, only every 2-3 days.  It's doubled in size in under a year.
Just about 1/4 of a block, it shares the block with the Mandarin and goby.
Also Clowns feed it pellets occasionally two.