Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tips on building a homemade stand?

Started by dnas17, November 25, 2012, 04:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnas17

So I have a 125 gallon tank that's 5 feet long by 2 feet wide and I have been told by big als that they dont carry any stands in those dimensions and haven't for quite some time, im sure there are stands like that out there however I honestly would rather save some $$ and have a little DIY project for the next little while so I have decided to go homemade stand. I need some tips for this however, I would like the stand to be able to support like 2000 lbs+ of weight and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with homemade stands and could share any tips like what woods or materials they used or the overall proper way to do this. If you happened to have any blueprints they would like to share that would be great too thanks! (PS if anyone knows of any stand thats 5 feet long by 2 feet wide feel free to share here aswell in case I decide to change my mind. any stand will do.)

lucius

1macuser

I built my stand using this method for my 90 gallon...love the look of it and can modify to suit your needs.

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/67677-building-simple-aquarium-stand-jonathan-hale.html

moused

This is what I did for my 125:

Now that I have it in place and seen others, I think it's overkill on support.
I think the hardest thing is to stop the sheering. So focus on the corners so that it doesn't twist or slide.

Then you can finish it off with some cabinet doors(cheap) or wood finish (expensive)

some good ideas(pictures) on self built stands:
Aquaruim Shop

something more elaborate:
Custom Cabinet

I'll see if I have any other references at home that I had from when I looked at building my stand.

Note: always budget 3x the cost of what you think it's going to cost you if you want to finish it with a nice wood finish.

lucius

Quote from: moused on November 25, 2012, 09:45:44 PM
This is what I did for my 125:

Now that I have it in place and seen others, I think it's overkill on support.
I think the hardest thing is to stop the sheering. So focus on the corners so that it doesn't twist or slide.

Then you can finish it off with some cabinet doors(cheap) or wood finish (expensive)

some good ideas(pictures) on self built stands:
Aquaruim Shop

something more elaborate:
Custom Cabinet

I'll see if I have any other references at home that I had from when I looked at building my stand.

Note: always budget 3x the cost of what you think it's going to cost you if you want to finish it with a nice wood finish.

How did you secure the top 2x6 piece to the 2x4 posts?  And I can't seem to access your links.

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Greatwhite

I built one in my old house for my 90.  I had 4x4's on each corner and in the back center.. I had 2x4s diagonal to support and disperse the weight.. 2x4 cross pieces on top... I then skinned it in 3/4" plywood on top, and 3 sides.  The front had doors...  At one point, I had it secured to the house's studs.

Then when I moved, I bought a stand - and have no idea how so little wood can support so much weight.  ???

ALL of the weight is on 1x4's on the corners and centers.  It's skinned in 1/2" wood - presumably pine.  I wish I was a structural engineer and could figure out how this can possibly work. :)

The pics that moused posted are exactly how I would build one today, if I had to.

Oh, if you plan on putting a top on it, keep the placement of overflows in mind.  You'll want lots of room to get your hands up there to tighten everything together.  Cross pieces may get in the way.  ALSO, put the bottom plywood UNDER the 2x4 base and seal the corners with silicone.  If you put the ply on top, you'll lose 3" of space for a skimmer... and that's no fun.  It's also a pain to cut it to fit around the verticals...  (I wouldn't recommend keeping the bottom open, because everything drips at some point, and you can protect your floor)

Feivel

I didnt read anything, i just noticed the picture and have one comment, how are you going to get your sump in that stand??? AND make sure you put your sump in from the top, will be much easier that way. :)  maybee remove a brace to put the sump??

76brian

Simpson StrongTie connectors are great for tank stands

Greatwhite

Quote from: 76brian on November 26, 2012, 01:15:55 PM
Simpson StrongTie connectors are great for tank stands

Yup - and having the weight transfer straight down the 2x4 verticals is perfect... 

moused

Wow my image above is big...sorry I didn't resize before posting.

I also put plywood on the top and the bottom of the stand.  Painted the whole inside (where the sump goes) with marine grade paint, from a boat shop.

QuoteAnd I can't seem to access your links
= Fixed

Quote"how are you going to get your sump in that stand"
I left one support as "removable" so that I can slide a sump in.  Right now I have a 30 gal in there and I can get it in and out just fine through the front.

QuoteHow did you secure the top 2x6 piece to the 2x4 posts
I toe screwed them in.
Something like this except with Screws = How to Toe Nail
but yes you can go plated fasteners (like others have mentioned), just keep in mind they have to be salt friendly. ie won't rust.

Structure
My bottom design was first based off of a basic stand design.  This is what I based my design off of.  A very structural method:

Lid
Also think about the lid design as well.  Wood Flip top or glass top.  Example of a wood flip top:

Example of a glass flip top:

Overflows
Like another member mentioned. You definitely have to figure out your overflows! This will be key to your design.  There are lots of Idea's out there (out the back, out the sides, out the bottom).  As for mine, they are going out the sides and are drilled holes in the glass.  If I was going to do it again I'd go out the bottom (cleaner look that I could hide with rocks.)  There was a really cool design that I saw a while back:

Can you see his return lines...nope. hidden with rock.  Very cool. just make sure you take into account power outages and backflow to the sump (that was my biggest battle in flow design.)

Inspiration
Back when I was creating my stand I saw one that I loved. Here is some inspiration on a simple design and how good it can look in the end:
Note: this is not mine. Look up "kien's 150g Room Divider" from Calgary.

My final design will have wood on both sides with the overflow and returns all going out the sides.  Nothing on the back. nice and clean

Extra's
Also think about how your going to close in the sump area. For your plumbing will have to go in and out of the stand. 

Think about sound, if this is going to be in your living room. do you close in the sump area? how do you vent it (if you have Chetto light or open sump)

Also think about electrical.  Pump control and getting wiring into the stand.

Also think about water top off and how you get fresh water into the stand.

moused

OH one more thing....Measure 3 TIMES on the height of the tank that you want.
TRUST ME...trying to "save a snail" or something is a pain if you can't reach the bottom of the tank.  When I did it I measured my armpit to the top of the tank so I could reach to the bottom without a stepstool.
I also double measured my skimmer height so that it would JUST fit into the sump.  I only have 1" of clearance for my skimmer in the sump. Just enough to take the top off for cleaning. (if you can't take the cup off, make sure your hand will fit)
Note: I've got a recirculating skimmer and NOT a in sump filter.

Anyway good luck...Bounce any questions you have.

dnas17

Thank you to everyone who has posted here, you have all been very informative and helpful.

delslo

I noticed that you mentioned that you toe-nailed the stand together, I would recommend getting some solid steel brackets and replacing them. Toe-nailing relies on the strength of the bonds between the natural wood layers. It's fine in typical formats, but unfortunately given enough lateral strain the wood will split every time. Just a suggestion.

moused

Yeah I've been debating over that.  Maybe I'll do the 4 corners, just in case.  Shear is my biggest concern.

Feivel

I used PL Premium AND screws to hold my stand together. essentially all i did was put a 2x4 and a 2x6 together to make a 6x6 "L" shaped corner and used 1x6 to frame and hold the stand straight. all the weight is held by the corner posts middle for extra support (i almost had to empty my tank to get the sump in, it was quite the event to try and shimmy it in the bottom with the ply wood alreayd in there .... boy that was fun to do .... alone to boot. Hold up the 30g tank slide the wood over it lift this slide that toss this curse a bit almost drop the tank, struggle get the wood under place it and replace the sump ..... oh boy, what a task :)     OH one more thing i dont think i read or heard anyone mention, ESPECIALLY with a tank that size, you will wat some sort of foam or styrofoam under the tank to help reduce pinpoint stresses and vibrations cause by anything.  Helps stabilize the tank also. I used Pink Panther 2" hard styroboard, usually used for stucco. 2" is probably overkill but as long as something is there to absorb the energy being transfered it will definately help against rupture :)

Feivel

I updated my tank build thread and included a picture of the stand build.