New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2 Stage C0 2 reg. build

Started by charlie, November 29, 2012, 09:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

I`m sharing this build to aid others who might be contemplating some thing like this.
The actual build is no different whether it`s a single stage regulator or 2 stage regulator, as with anything the quality of parts will determine how reliable it is.
My main reason for opting for a 2 stage was for the added benefit of the system being more stable when the CO 2 tank is getting low on gas, this 2 stage stands above most single stage in that the output of gas is steady & stable, some single stage will dump a huge amount of gas into your tank resulting in die off of live stock, unlike my other 2 injected tanks this one does not have a controller which negates the end of tank dump.
I know my buddy Rah has his parts ( full stainless steel ) ready to go & will be sharing his build soon  :D
Parts list
Linde 2 stage regulator
1 x  FNPT 1/4 to 1/8 reducing bushing- FNPT
2x 1/8 MNPT hex nipple
3 x 1/8 MNPTx 1/8 FNPT 90 deg street elbow
1 x Clippard maximatic 110 volt solenoid
1 x Parker precision metering valve
clipppard check valve.
Except for the Parker metering valve & the Linde Reg. which are stainless steel, all the fittings are brass that was nickel plated(a good deed repayed)

exv152

Ah yes, very nice! Seems like everyone's getting a double stage regulator these days.

But I must ask, what's the process involved to get brass fittings nickel plated?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on November 29, 2012, 09:34:04 AM
Ah yes, very nice! Seems like everyone's getting a double stage regulator these days.

But I must ask, what's the process involved to get brass fittings nickel plated?
Basically it` s chemical process that deposits nickle on the surface, biggest benefit is it renders the alloy anti corrosive,
the part go though several chemical processes of cleaning etc to render the surface ready for the deposit of nickel in a controlled uniform application.
I should mention the cost is not cheap, but thankfully i have a few pathways that made it possible for me otherwise i would have bought chrome or stainless steel pcs.
Errol

exv152

Quote from: charlie on November 29, 2012, 10:24:14 AM
...I should mention the cost is not cheap, but thankfully i have a few pathways that made it possible for me otherwise i would have bought chrome or stainless steel pcs.
Errol
Would the nickel plating also protect the brass fittings from galling? As you know, I'm contemplating the same thing with my rebuild - whether to go all stainless or chance it with the cheaper brass fittings, and just replace them when needed.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Well to be honest I`m not 100% sure, i`m thinking the nickel should mimmise the galvanic reaction of the 2 metals( Stainless & Brass).
I have read that other guys claim they had no issues- maybe because of the teflon tape?.
I would say don`t sweat it although i did point out to you about galling.
Maybe someone with in depth knowledge of metal alloys can chime in.
Errol

daworldisblack

Thanks Errol! That elbow component part is sleek and low-profile. Like it alot! Something to keep in mind for now :)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!