New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Boring Clams

Started by lion1, January 06, 2013, 08:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lion1

Hello all,

I have a newly acquired boring clam that just did not want to stay on the live rock ledges I was placing it.  It has since jumped onto the substrate next to some live rock.  He was there about two days and yesterday during my water change I was going to move him.  When I went to relocate him he seemed to have attached himself in that location.  Is it OK if the clam is sitting on substrate and not a harder surface?

Here is a pic,  my sailfin who is a little too curiouse and bold kept blocking the shot but I think I finally got one that shows the location.  Please note this is also early in the morning and the lights are just ramping up. 

lion1

My last attempt at uploading the photo did not work.  Here I will try again.  And thanks in advance. 

Hookup

Looks normal to me... 

Darth

don't try and remove it once it takes hold you can damage is foot, and that wouldnt be good, I have learned that inverts will go where they are happy and you can't change it kinda like a cat you can wish it would do certain things, but they do whatever makes the cat happy  8)

Wooki

Quote from: lion1 on January 06, 2013, 08:53:01 AM
Hello all,

I have a newly acquired boring clam that just did not want to stay on the live rock ledges I was placing it.  It has since jumped onto the substrate next to some live rock.  He was there about two days and yesterday during my water change I was going to move him.  When I went to relocate him he seemed to have attached himself in that location.  Is it OK if the clam is sitting on substrate and not a harder surface?

Here is a pic,  my sailfin who is a little too curiouse and bold kept blocking the shot but I think I finally got one that shows the location.  Please note this is also early in the morning and the lights are just ramping up. 

I would say as long as there is enough light for it, it should be okay.  Hard to tell from the picture, but the clam looks small, so you may have to target feed it a bit until it gets bigger, particularly if the light is not too intense.
180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

Hookup

I would assume if there is not enough light it will release its foot before dying... but good point... light is very important to clams.

try feeding clam food as well.

lion1

Aquaticfinatic

Hey guys. New here so go easy on me ;0) most clams under the 2-3" size require amonia to survive without feeding anything over that they require nitrates. All clams need good light as well. It looks like it chose its location so don't fight it...... Leave it be :0)

Hookup

AF- welcome..

curious about clams... i don't knokw much... where did you learn about the amonia?

Aquaticfinatic

Quote from: Hookup on January 12, 2013, 06:33:04 PM
AF- welcome..

curious about clams... i don't knokw much... where did you learn about the amonia?

I learnt this a while back and it surprised me when I heard. It's a know thing in the trade so a close friend told me. Its from old school i think, people used to keep them in sumps as nitrate removers. I never buy a clam if its under 2" for sure and have had good luck so far. Touch wood lol.  ;)

Hookup

I did know about the 2" and under being almost impossible to keep... not enough mantel to gather light was my suspicion... cool tid-bit of info.  Thx

lion1

Hello again,

The clam is doing great.  The lighting seems to be good and I feed phytoplankton twice a week.  It's mantle is extending and it seems happy.  I really like this clam as the colour of it changes depending on the angle I am viewing it from.  Hope to get at least one more at some point.

Thanks again