New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank green...HELP

Started by mags28, January 30, 2013, 09:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mags28

I have a 46 gallon bowfront that has turned green. the water is not green however you can still see through it. I checked my PH and its 7.6. I have angels, loach, barbs in my tank. I have tried water changes, the aqua clear chemcial nothing is working. My filter is working fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

blueknight0303

no light for 1-2 weeks. water change every 3-4 days maybe 10-20% if you have 3 stage filter, just clean the sponge and not the chemical and bacteria filter. good luck!

its the light that is keeping the algae alive. try looking for green x or fluval clearmax(im not sure if this is the one) or any filter inserts that removes phosphates, they will not clear your tank but help remove algae food.

mags28

I went a purchased a uv sterilizer for it, i bought it at rona for 17 taxes in, but i purchased the 18w. Is this good for my tank on the box it says it goes up to 2500g, will the uv hurt my fish being so high???

blueknight0303

It will not hurt your fish but remember, uv kills algae = dead algae still in your tank = more tank waste. it depends how much water and how long it stays in the uv chamber. i honestly dont know much about uv steriliErs so thats all i can suggest.

Shawn84

That uv is plenty for your tank but still keep up with the water change
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

mags28

1macuser

The UV sterilizer will help but this will only get rid of floating algae in the tank not what's on the glass or accessories in the tank.

mags28

i bought a uv 18w clarifier and it doesnt really give any instructions as to how to hook it to my pump? anyone have any idea

exv152

What kind of filter or pump do you have?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

mags28

its an eheim professional 3  ultra g

Darth

what kind of lights are you using, and how old are they?

exv152

Quote from: mags28 on February 02, 2013, 10:32:19 AM
its an eheim professional 3  ultra g

You can hook it up to the return outlet of the eheim, if it didn't come with its own pump. As for the green water, check out this algae guide http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

mags28

thanks for the website i got alot of useful info on it.

Ruber

Is green water bad for the fish?   I have this problem also in my 46G front bow also.   I ordered a UV sterilizer online and waiting for it.   I tried using the clear water product also with no luck.  Ammonia . PH test are perfect.

cdylnicki

Isn't green water fabulous for baby fish??  Some people try to get green eater because its a natural food supply for fish.

Shawn84

Green water indeed is food for baby fish.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........