New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help CUC advice for frag tank

Started by bandit, February 02, 2013, 09:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit

So my frag tank is getting some good coat of brown algae I currently have about 35 hermits and a 4" yellow tang in a 50gall.

I m thinking I need to stay away from snails as they will nock the frags over. My yellow tang dosnt do much.

I'm leaning towards a kole tang any other suggestions ????

Darth

are you sure its not just diatoms?? I would stay away from turbos, but smaller snails should be fine

bandit

Yes it is diatoms just on what ever was not in a tank before like (base rock rubble and egg crate) it dosnt grow on established live rock or frags. its happening because of the long light hours I'm running  full power for 14hrs I should cut back but it's kind of an experiment. 

Darth

diatoms will clear up in a few days by itself, I wouldn't worry about it too much

blizzack1

Quote from: Darth on February 02, 2013, 09:56:14 AM
are you sure its not just diatoms?? I would stay away from turbos, but smaller snails should be fine

Why stay away from turbos?  Just curious, as I had a few and they laid a bunch of eggs (maybe this is why?) and now I have dozens of babies.  Should I be keeping the population in check?

Sorry to threadjack, seems like it had died :)

dakrazyone

@bandit - is your frag tanks barebottom or do they have sand?  I have a mix of CUC and the hermits can be just as annoying as snails.  You can always borrow from your main tank to do some regular cleanup and return them back :)  14hrs of lighting is quite long, my setup does best at 6-7 hours of max lighting.  Continue to experiment with your setup and see what works best.

Darth

Quote from: blizzack1 on February 17, 2013, 03:11:11 PM
Why stay away from turbos?  Just curious, as I had a few and they laid a bunch of eggs (maybe this is why?) and now I have dozens of babies.  Should I be keeping the population in check?

Sorry to threadjack, seems like it had died :)
turbos are just bull dozers, when you are trying to keep delicate frags, they knock them over, and break them

Severum

I threw some emerald crabs in my frag tank to deal with some bubble algae and all they ate was yumas. Freak'in emeralds. Shame I forgot why I never buy them.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef