New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What finally make it "click" ... for me.

Started by Hookup, February 13, 2013, 12:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

After years of paying for an OVAS membership, and arguing to improve the forum, I finally got it.  It clicked.  I want to put this out there in hopes it might make it click for some others as well. 

Its started with a simple question. What is OVAS?
1. OVAS is a paid members only club.
2. It has events and allows, for a fee, non-members to sit in on those events.
3. It has a forum and due to sponsorship, and volunteers it allows non-members restricted access to the forum.
4. OVAS is about events, gatherings, meetings, auctions.

Then I asked, what defined a typical OVAS members; (a happy non-complaining, non-raging one  ;) )
  * Want to go to meetings
  * Want to go to events
  * Want to share information, in person, at events
  * Like having a forum to also share information

Non Members;
  * Who cares, you're not a member. 

This allowed me to define myself, and others as Web-Only Members.  This was something I created, not the club.
  * Want to have fun on the form
  * Like to share information, only on the forum

People who want to be form-only members should realize the difference between your own personal classification of membership and what the club defines as a member.  Its therefore foolish to go into a 60+ year old club and assume you're going to change the definition of membership by voicing your concerns on the "nice to have forum" the club maintains.

When this finally clicked for me, it made no sense to donate $10 membership cause I already could do what I needed/wanted as a forum only-member without the cost.  I support the local LFS's and they support the club, so I felt/feel that the give and take for using the form was balanced.

This is my point of view only, though I'm sure some share it as well... others may add in things like Classifieds or 10% discounts benefits to membership.  These were never value adding for me so they don't factor into my list.

I post this to possibly help it "click" with others who are forum-only members.  Its those types of members who rage against the machine most often.  If your like me, maybe it will click and you'll recognize you didn't join an on-line club.  If you want to rage against the machine effectively, RUN FOR EXECUTIVE, and do less waxing of poetic in the forums.