New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rogers house needs help

Started by redbelly, February 13, 2013, 01:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbelly

Quote from: Hookup on February 13, 2013, 01:09:33 PM

This was done by two members for Rogers House.  They asked for OVAS support, for both donated equipment and hours/help to maintain the system.  Unfortunately, at that time not much happened at all.   The two members, took it on them selves to get cleared for Rogers house, setup what they had and buy/give the rest to the tank. 

It ran well for a few years that way. 

Maybe Rogers House needs help again?

Yes Rogers house does need a bit of help I think, mainly in terms of manpower for maintenance.

Pierre is awesome and took it upon himself to donate time to help work on the tank after Trina and I left Ottawa. Sad to see he is leaving the forum but what can you do.

Trina and I are still willing to donate product for the tank.

If pierre needs help and if anyone else wants to donate some time please send me a pm.
If ovas organized a volunteer team for the tank that would be amazing!

charlie

Please indicate in this thread your desire to volunteer your time & expertise to help a mainstay in our society.
Please keep in mind this requires  dependable & knowledgeable hobbyist.
Regards

Stussi613

I'm willing to donate time to this project in any capacity required (as well as paying for some of the equipment that may be needed, if required).
I haz reef tanks.

redbelly

Thanks for posting the link Charlie!

As you are working around young children you will be required to get a full police check and pass the volunteer requirements for the rogers house.

The tank currently at Rogers house is a bit out of date so please please please dont turn things off or change them as with old equipment this usually does not go well.

The biggest help would be from someone that can check salinity (tank does have an ATO) Refill ATO compartment, feed fish, clean glass etc.

All pretty basic tasks really.
It is a softies dominated reef so it is nice and easy to care for,

redbelly

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 13, 2013, 02:54:21 PM
I'm willing to donate time to this project in any capacity required (as well as paying for some of the equipment that may be needed, if required).

Very cool, and much appreciated!

redbelly

For those of you that are unaware of what Rogers house is, it is a palliative care facility for children at CHEO.

Here is their website if you would like to do some reading:

http://www.rogershouse.ca/en/

Shawn84

I'm willing to help also with the maintenance and other things
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

charlie

nice 2 execs already stepping up , thanks guys.
Come on guys come on board the more we have the merrier, don`t hesitate step right on up.

bitterman

I am willing to help also.

Regards,
   Bruce

charlie

Thanks Bruce.
just to clarify this is open to all & sundry - you don`t need to be a paying member, non members can volunteer too.
Regards

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

sas

Yes, see this earlier in this thread.

Quote from: redbelly on February 13, 2013, 02:56:48 PM
Thanks for posting the link Charlie!

As you are working around young children you will be required to get a full police check and pass the volunteer requirements for the rogers house.

The tank currently at Rogers house is a bit out of date so please please please dont turn things off or change them as with old equipment this usually does not go well.

The biggest help would be from someone that can check salinity (tank does have an ATO) Refill ATO compartment, feed fish, clean glass etc.

All pretty basic tasks really.
It is a softies dominated reef so it is nice and easy to care for,

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Stussi613

Quote from: redbelly on February 13, 2013, 02:56:48 PM

For anyone volunteering for this OVAS can provide a letter which will save you the fee for the police check as we are a not for profit.

Stuart
I haz reef tanks.

Darth

if they need frags I have some leathers I would be more than happy to donate

groupie02

I'm still around for now. Waiting on some stuff to happen.

Currently, the tank at Roger's House only has softies. That's OK because that's all that can survive given the current setup. Once I'm done migrating my 120g to a 300g tank, I plan on fixing some of the bigger issues with the setup over at RH.  I definitely want to get rid of the bio-balls. Will most likely replace the whole sump setup for something easier to manage. There's barely enough room for the skimmer in the current sump.

If more knowledgeable folks join the volunteer team, we'll be able to coordinate our efforts. I'm pretty much the only local volunteer who knows about SW tanks. The others are following instructions as best as they can but doing a great job.

Looking forward to working with some of you.
Cheers
Pierre

P.S. OVAS doesn't need to provide the letter for the police check. Roger's House does that already.