New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

15 Gallon CAD starfire build

Started by charlie, March 28, 2013, 06:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

So here we go again, at our recent Aquamania some stuff happen to find their way to my car & their way home with me, as a result i have to put it together.
Since i have no space for more tanks, it will replace my 10 Gallon Starfire tank.
Here is what i have so far, maybe some other goodies will call me next week & the DRAS auction
15 Gallon Starfire Zen series CAD Lights tank - 20"(L) x 13"(W) x 13.5"(H)
http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=229
1 -9L bag of Amazoniza new , will need more.
http://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_27&products_id=116
Manzanita drift wood i had in holding - Thanks smalltownfan

I will need to think about lights, rocks ,plants

daworldisblack

Lol you waste no time! I wanted to discuss light with you as well! As well as if you're going to be adding additives to the soil or just going with the soil itself. I'm looking at LEDs for lighting. If you want we can go halfsies on another 9L bag if you get some more from Angelfins down there.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Check out last year's 60l AGA winner. It's about the same size as yours. Rotala green and rotundifolia are some my favourite accent plants, and the green neons are also a nice touch. http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2012/show377.html
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

cdylnicki

Ohhhh I love the driftwood!!  Can't wait to see what you do with it!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on March 28, 2013, 06:47:58 PM
Lol you waste no time! I wanted to discuss light with you as well! As well as if you're going to be adding additives to the soil or just going with the soil itself. I'm looking at LEDs for lighting. If you want we can go halfsies on another 9L bag if you get some more from Angelfins down there.
I might try some of the fancy ADA stuff, will decide later ;)
No LED for me more than likely good old t5 HO
splitting another 9 L sound good.

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on March 28, 2013, 07:49:12 PM
Check out last year's 60l AGA winner. It's about the same size as yours. Rotala green and rotundifolia are some my favourite accent plants, and the green neons are also a nice touch. http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2012/show377.html
That tank looks great, but not for me  :)
You must be reading my mind, the Rotalas are some of the plants i`m considering along with HC , UG  , fish will be the chilli rasboras  currently in my 10 gallon.

charlie

Quote from: cdylnicki on March 28, 2013, 09:28:06 PM
Ohhhh I love the driftwood!!  Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Yea the wood is great , but may end up only using part of it- will see.

charlie

Applied white vinyl background this morning, got a nice surprise.
On emptying the tank of what i thought was some packaging material turned out to be a glass top  with clear acrylic clips, the top has less width than the tank , so this allows for a 1 inch space on the front & back to run pick up & return pipes & CO 2 equipment into the tank - sweet!
When removing the cardboard bottom, i found a black rubber mat tucked away in there for relieving pressure points to the bottom of the tank really sweet !
Now the hardest part - waaiiittiinnngggg :)

Stussi613

Quote from: charlie on March 29, 2013, 10:44:13 AM
On emptying the tank of what i thought was some packaging material turned out to be a glass top  with clear acrylic clips, the top has less width than the tank , so this allows for a 1 inch space on the front & back to run pick up & return pipes & CO 2 equipment into the tank - sweet!
When removing the cardboard bottom, i found a black rubber mat tucked away in there for relieving pressure points to the bottom of the tank really sweet !
Now the hardest part - waaiiittiinnngggg :)

At least you've taken yours out of the box...
I haz reef tanks.

pm

Quote from: charlie on March 29, 2013, 10:44:13 AM

Yeah, I have the 7 gal version of the tank and I am very impressed with the quality of the build (the panels all line up perfectly, the lid has nice round edges, and they gave more lid clips than was needed... So you have extras if needed).  Overall I am very happy with the purchase.

Cheers!

charlie

I got around to leak testing & leveling the tank as best as i can, i think i`m good to go.
I`m still contemplating what i`ll do with the scape - Igwami or a nature type scape with wood & stones, hopefully by next week i will make up my mind.
Regards

fischkopp

Like the clean look. :P

I would go nature with this one. I find that Iwagumi needs space, as of width, to balance out the rocks. Smaller tanks done in that style mostly feel like the bigger part is missing. Actually, just combine both styles, without following each one to strictly, and you will end up with a great little scene.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

the scape is done ( for now), HC started, now to wait for a few weeks.
May switch rocks if i find what i`m looking for.
Regards

bettabreeder

Cheebs

Stussi613

So. Awesome.

You're the king of scapes Errol.
I haz reef tanks.

daworldisblack

Turning out great so far! Looking forward to the progress!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

fischkopp

I find there are too many diagonals; it's to exact. I would probably look for another way to place the wood. It kinda feels like it's fighting with the rocks for dominance. I do like the rocks, though the one in the middle seems to go against the flow of the other two.

Constructive criticism. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on April 11, 2013, 07:43:51 AM
I find there are too many diagonals; it's to exact. I would probably look for another way to place the wood. It kinda feels like it's fighting with the rocks for dominance. I do like the rocks, though the one in the middle seems to go against the flow of the other two.

Constructive criticism. :)
Thanks , all criticism welcomed , both constructive & negative :), it`s how we learn ;)

exv152

Very nice. I like the manzanita and seiryu stone, they work together.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g