New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

15 Gallon CAD starfire build

Started by charlie, March 28, 2013, 06:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

So here we go again, at our recent Aquamania some stuff happen to find their way to my car & their way home with me, as a result i have to put it together.
Since i have no space for more tanks, it will replace my 10 Gallon Starfire tank.
Here is what i have so far, maybe some other goodies will call me next week & the DRAS auction
15 Gallon Starfire Zen series CAD Lights tank - 20"(L) x 13"(W) x 13.5"(H)
http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=229
1 -9L bag of Amazoniza new , will need more.
http://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_27&products_id=116
Manzanita drift wood i had in holding - Thanks smalltownfan

I will need to think about lights, rocks ,plants

daworldisblack

Lol you waste no time! I wanted to discuss light with you as well! As well as if you're going to be adding additives to the soil or just going with the soil itself. I'm looking at LEDs for lighting. If you want we can go halfsies on another 9L bag if you get some more from Angelfins down there.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Check out last year's 60l AGA winner. It's about the same size as yours. Rotala green and rotundifolia are some my favourite accent plants, and the green neons are also a nice touch. http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2012/show377.html
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

cdylnicki

Ohhhh I love the driftwood!!  Can't wait to see what you do with it!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on March 28, 2013, 06:47:58 PM
Lol you waste no time! I wanted to discuss light with you as well! As well as if you're going to be adding additives to the soil or just going with the soil itself. I'm looking at LEDs for lighting. If you want we can go halfsies on another 9L bag if you get some more from Angelfins down there.
I might try some of the fancy ADA stuff, will decide later ;)
No LED for me more than likely good old t5 HO
splitting another 9 L sound good.

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on March 28, 2013, 07:49:12 PM
Check out last year's 60l AGA winner. It's about the same size as yours. Rotala green and rotundifolia are some my favourite accent plants, and the green neons are also a nice touch. http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2012/show377.html
That tank looks great, but not for me  :)
You must be reading my mind, the Rotalas are some of the plants i`m considering along with HC , UG  , fish will be the chilli rasboras  currently in my 10 gallon.

charlie

Quote from: cdylnicki on March 28, 2013, 09:28:06 PM
Ohhhh I love the driftwood!!  Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Yea the wood is great , but may end up only using part of it- will see.

charlie

Applied white vinyl background this morning, got a nice surprise.
On emptying the tank of what i thought was some packaging material turned out to be a glass top  with clear acrylic clips, the top has less width than the tank , so this allows for a 1 inch space on the front & back to run pick up & return pipes & CO 2 equipment into the tank - sweet!
When removing the cardboard bottom, i found a black rubber mat tucked away in there for relieving pressure points to the bottom of the tank really sweet !
Now the hardest part - waaiiittiinnngggg :)

Stussi613

Quote from: charlie on March 29, 2013, 10:44:13 AM
On emptying the tank of what i thought was some packaging material turned out to be a glass top  with clear acrylic clips, the top has less width than the tank , so this allows for a 1 inch space on the front & back to run pick up & return pipes & CO 2 equipment into the tank - sweet!
When removing the cardboard bottom, i found a black rubber mat tucked away in there for relieving pressure points to the bottom of the tank really sweet !
Now the hardest part - waaiiittiinnngggg :)

At least you've taken yours out of the box...
I haz reef tanks.

pm

Quote from: charlie on March 29, 2013, 10:44:13 AM

Yeah, I have the 7 gal version of the tank and I am very impressed with the quality of the build (the panels all line up perfectly, the lid has nice round edges, and they gave more lid clips than was needed... So you have extras if needed).  Overall I am very happy with the purchase.

Cheers!

charlie

I got around to leak testing & leveling the tank as best as i can, i think i`m good to go.
I`m still contemplating what i`ll do with the scape - Igwami or a nature type scape with wood & stones, hopefully by next week i will make up my mind.
Regards

fischkopp

Like the clean look. :P

I would go nature with this one. I find that Iwagumi needs space, as of width, to balance out the rocks. Smaller tanks done in that style mostly feel like the bigger part is missing. Actually, just combine both styles, without following each one to strictly, and you will end up with a great little scene.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

the scape is done ( for now), HC started, now to wait for a few weeks.
May switch rocks if i find what i`m looking for.
Regards

bettabreeder

Cheebs

Stussi613

So. Awesome.

You're the king of scapes Errol.
I haz reef tanks.

daworldisblack

Turning out great so far! Looking forward to the progress!

fischkopp

I find there are too many diagonals; it's to exact. I would probably look for another way to place the wood. It kinda feels like it's fighting with the rocks for dominance. I do like the rocks, though the one in the middle seems to go against the flow of the other two.

Constructive criticism. :)
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on April 11, 2013, 07:43:51 AM
I find there are too many diagonals; it's to exact. I would probably look for another way to place the wood. It kinda feels like it's fighting with the rocks for dominance. I do like the rocks, though the one in the middle seems to go against the flow of the other two.

Constructive criticism. :)
Thanks , all criticism welcomed , both constructive & negative :), it`s how we learn ;)

exv152

Very nice. I like the manzanita and seiryu stone, they work together.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: charlie on April 10, 2013, 07:57:03 AM
the scape is done ( for now), HC started, now to wait for a few weeks.
May switch rocks if i find what i`m looking for.
Regards
Update time.
After several algae blooms & HC melting the tank is starting to come together. I have gone away from the manzy wood & only used 3 Seiryu  Rock , the main rock is not as tall as I would like it, but will do for now, there is still some more filling in by the plants & eradication of some lingering algae.
Regards
P.S please excuse the dirty pick up strainer  :)

exv152

Nice scape Errol, I like the HC and hairgrass combo. Did the hc melt on the dry start or after filling?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

You always keep us envious! Really like the nice scape here.

charlie

Thanks guys, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I sure enjoy it & it`s challenges  ;)
The HC melted after filling, truth be told I did not have the patience  to wait out the dry start, as such I went away & fill the tank  :D, I think 2 factors maybe responsible for the melting - the transition from emersed to submersed & some research revealed that it`s not uncommon to have plant melt with new ADA soil.
Errol

exv152

Quote from: charlie on September 03, 2013, 10:00:42 AM
Thanks guys, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I sure enjoy it & it`s challenges  ;)
The HC melted after filling, truth be told I did not have the patience  to wait out the dry start, as such I went away & fill the tank  :D, I think 2 factors maybe responsible for the melting - the transition from emersed to submersed & some research revealed that it`s not uncommon to have plant melt with new ADA soil.
Errol

It's definitely my cup of tea. I have an iwagumi going that I started dry for a couple of months, then recently filled it, and now my hc is going through something similar. It's not necessarily dying off, but the leaves look dull, even though they're pearling heavily with high co2 ~50ppm (fishless tank). But I've got it planted in a mixture of black onyx sand and flourite. Seems to work out better for the tiny hc roots.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

pm

Quote from: exv152 on September 03, 2013, 11:11:40 AM
But I've got it planted in a mixture of black onyx sand and flourite. Seems to work out better for the tiny hc roots.

+1 to a sand substrate for keeping HC rooted.  I grew better in a nutritious substrate for me (like Netlea soil), but just looking at it would cause it to uproot  >:(  Flourite sand mixed with Black Diamond blasting sand worked well.

charlie

exv152

Nice Errol. Are those micro rasboras of some kind?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Thanks Eric, they are Green Fire Tetra (Aphyocharax rathbuni), the white back ground does not help to show off their colors.
Errol

daworldisblack

Lol the itchy hands are at it again and it does not disappoint! Where did you get the rocks from? Is that the DHG Sp. Japan?

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on May 19, 2014, 01:58:55 PM
Lol the itchy hands are at it again and it does not disappoint! Where did you get the rocks from? Is that the DHG Sp. Japan?
The itchy hands were hard at work all tanks felt the wrath, even a full stainless regulator  :P
Yes it is  the  Sp. Japan, thanks to you.
Errol

fischkopp

Nice, but a little plain for my liking. It needs a focal point. I can't believe that you are actually limiting this setup to 3 plants. That's so not you! :P
my fish suck

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on May 22, 2014, 10:44:20 PM
Nice, but a little plain for my liking. It needs a focal point. I can't believe that you are actually limiting this setup to 3 plants. That's so not you! :P
Thanks.
My understanding of Iwagumi must be different from yours. The rocks are the main focus in the tank with the plants as a secondary that will also account for the type of plants & the minimalistic ones in this tank, I attempted to have the largest rock as the main focus point, which again is what the rule of thumb in the Iwagumi style tanks.
Regards

fischkopp

I don't really know anything about Iwagumi - on top of my head, I could read up on it I suppose. You know that my comment isn't meant in a negative, but constructive way. I should have explained a little more why I think it's plain: I find that the layout is missing something that draws you in. The rocks appear almost equal in size even though the right one is slightly bigger and they are almost centered. None of them immediately pops. The plants are pretty much the same height; i presume once the background plants kicks in it will have a different feel. You could also work with different elevation in the substrate. Maybe a slight slope from one back corner down, or even both corners. That would give the scene more depth. Just my thoughts. Cheers!  ;)
my fish suck

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on May 23, 2014, 04:10:22 PM
I don't really know anything about Iwagumi - on top of my head, I could read up on it I suppose. You know that my comment isn't meant in a negative, but constructive way. I should have explained a little more why I think it's plain: I find that the layout is missing something that draws you in. The rocks appear almost equal in size even though the right one is slightly bigger and
Quotethey are almost centered
. None of them immediately pops. The plants are pretty much the same height; i presume once the background plants kicks in it will have a different feel. You could also work with different elevation in the substrate.
QuoteMaybe a slight slope from one back corner down
, or even both corners. That would give the scene more depth. Just my thoughts. Cheers!  ;)
QuoteYou know that my comment isn't meant in a negative,
Never took it as negative
QuoteI find that the layout is missing something that draws you in.
I somewhat agree, I tried to create that but with such a narrow tank, it`s not an easy task.
QuoteThe rocks appear almost equal in size
That`s a deception, since the rock closest to the front glass is approx. 1/4 the size of the largest rock & the other one is approx. 1/2 the size of the largest one.
Quotethey are almost centered
again a deception the largest rock is placed at 2/3 of the width of the tank from the left or from another point of view 1/3 from the right, so is the other one left of the largest one.
QuoteMaybe a slight slope from one back corner down
I`ll take a picture later , the back has approx. 4 inches & the front 2 inches.
Hope gives more clarity.
On another note the 25 gallon was easier to work with because it is deeper, picture coming soon.
Got to run now  ;)

charlie

fischkopp

Nice!. My bad. This is a good example of how one picture never does a tank justice! ;)

I hear you, the dimensions are pretty hard to work with. I have been shying away from tanks of this size.
my fish suck

charlie

As some of you know , I have developed an interest in discovering what all the hype about the LED craze is about.
I`m the kind of person that tries things for myself & learn first hand, as opposed to reading  on forums & regurgitating it as gospel.( most forums if not all has no shortage of that ), hence this thread.
In keeping true to form with my natural practices in this hobby, - I`m constantly changing things around in my tanks  Grin, I guess this keeps the hobby fresh to me and as such my interest, so I decided to pick on my 15 gallon CAD light tank again  Wink
Ok , so I re worked the tank, moving the Belem hair grass to the back of the tank ( background plants) and planted some Hydrocotyle tripartita / Japan ( thanks Rah & Ken) , and thought  now to let it grow in and enjoy...........
Not , 2 things presented itself just as that thought occurred (1) in discussion with a friend  about LED lighting he suggested that he had a couple of TMC  grobeam 600 not currently in use and I was welcomed to try them - did not take me long to reply - I will  Wink, a few days later I got a message saying he also has a tmc grobeam 1500 ultima that I can try too, OMG is this real  Cheesy, without taking a breath  I quickly replied to the message , confirming I`ll will take him up on the ultima 1500.
The second thing was , another plantacholic messaged me saying a distributor is expecting some "Tropica 1 2 grow"
plants . ( is it Xmas already), on that expected list  was -"Micranthemum 'Monte-Carlo' 1-2-GROW! "  hmmmm
I now expect that plant tomorrow to replace the freshly planted Hydrocotyle tripartita / Japan , did I say I like changing things around  Grin.
This morning I rigged up a gangster style hanging system to hang my loaned TMC Ultima 1500 ( Thanks Greg)
More to come....

exv152

I look forward to your feedback on the TMC 1500, maybe we can compare notes later.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on August 26, 2014, 02:08:47 PM
I look forward to your feedback on the TMC 1500, maybe we can compare notes later.
Sure thing.
Here is my Ghetto mounting kit for the light , think I should patent it ?  ;D

exv152

Quote from: charlie on August 26, 2014, 07:57:43 PMHere is my Ghetto mounting kit for the light , think I should patent it ?  ;D

Yes, definitely. The wife must be proud!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on August 27, 2014, 08:03:01 AM
Yes, definitely. The wife must be proud!

Not sure I would use that word "proud" ;)

charlie

First observation
The Zoo Med quad was sitting 3 inches above the top of the tank  and my high tech lux meter ( smart phone app) said approx. 19000 lux, keep in mind the accuracy is not my aim here , it`s just for reference.
The TMC Ultima 1500 had to be suspended  9 inches above the tank to match that Lux of approx. 1900, needless to say the light bleed when sitting requires sun glasses.

exv152

What about testing your quad tek fixture? Or whatever else you have onhand. I've tested my tek quad and got 4500-5000 lux at about that height.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on August 27, 2014, 03:01:07 PM
What about testing your quad tek fixture? Or whatever else you have onhand. I've tested my tek quad and got 4500-5000 lux at about that height.
Not really interested in the tek lights I have, I`m happy with them growing plants & don`t want to get caught up in the numbers game.
Only reason I wanted a reference point was so when I removed the  Zoo Med, it will give me a reference point on how high I need to raise the fixture so as not to shock the plants.
Quite honestly, from my point of view, we tend to over think this hobby, me included  :P
I really don`t think this hobby needs to be exact, I let the plants tell me.  ;)

charlie

After a slight delay compliments of Canada Post the replacement plants that will occupy the piece of land where the new growing in hydrocotyle tripartite occupy, have arrived safe & sound -thanks Rah.
The planting will soon commence  :D

pm

Hey are you the reason Angelfins is sold out of this plant??

charlie

Quote from: pm on August 28, 2014, 07:24:31 PM
Hey are you the reason Angelfins is sold out of this plant??
Maybe ............. I bought 3 pots, Menangerie is expecting a shipment & are taking special orders until tomorrow

charlie

Planting completed I followed the suggestion of planting by tropica, - cut each pad with scissors into 8 pieces & plant in clusters but if you like tedious & careful planting you can plant the same area of tank with one pot as illustrated by George Farmer   ;)
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/georges-one-pot-iwagumi-challenge.29695/
I have used my ghetto plant shield to give the plants a chance to root, as the fish may wnt to play around the freshly planted plant & make me sad & angry  :).

guck

charlie

I have now converted this tank to an exclusive hi tech ( whatever that means  ;D)shrimp tank, all the Crystal shrimp from my former shrimp tank has being moved to this tank & doing well loving their new home.
I have replaced the seiryu rock with lace rock due to the water hardening characteristics of the seiryu rock.
Picture to follow, plants are still filling in.
This will be my one of two tanks I will have, the other is my 79 gallon tank.
Errol

bettabreeder

Looks awesome Errol. Can't wait to see the updated photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exv152

How's the "ghetto mounted" LED working out for you?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on October 02, 2014, 01:57:14 PM
How's the "ghetto mounted" LED working out for you?

Pretty good, presently suspended 10 inches above the tank.
I will soon start lowering it to see the response.

daworldisblack

charlie

daworldisblack

Man its looking awesome! I hope my Monte Carlo comes up like yours! That co2 tubing is sexy ain't it? What'd I say? :p Can't wait for it to fill in!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 03, 2014, 11:45:39 AM
Man its looking awesome! I hope my Monte Carlo comes up like yours! That co2 tubing is sexy ain't it? What'd I say? :p Can't wait for it to fill in!
Thanks Rah, I hope your Monte do well too, I`m loving this plant.

charlie

A few more pics of the behind the scene operation., a big thanks go out to Brian for building the stand frame work, I had the melamine panels cut to size @ Home Depot & applied it to the stand.
The filter which you don`t see behind the CO 2 rig is the same Eheim eco comfort 2236 it also drives the DIY reactor.
The heater is the same Hydor in line heater, Reef keeper Lite controller , Co2 is a Scott ( Matheson) all stainless steel  2 stage regulator build.
The Light is the TMC Ultima 1500 LED tile, kindly loaned to me by Greg to try,  it has made a good impression so far & I will  be seeking out one for this tank.
Regards

lucius

Good stuff Errol.  Glad everything worked out.

Wife should be happy now!  :)

fischkopp

Looking great! Glad to see that you are keeping your CRS. I hope they will do as well in their new tank as they did in the old one.
my fish suck

charlie

Thanks guys,
@ Brian the wife is very happy  ;D
Robert I just had to keep those CRS, they have been good to me ;), ever since I set up the tank outside & moved the shrimp over it just grabs my attention more , loving it.

bettabreeder

Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie

approx. 3 weeks after planting , this is what it looks like now.
I can`t say enough about the Tropica 123 grow plants.

daworldisblack

Woah! Drooling! If only my carpet looked like that!!

charlie

One month up date.
I just replaced to 2 foremost rocks & will weather to blend in time ( at least that`s what I`m thinking  ;))
I got some of 1 2 grow Tropica from the pots Got Fish brought today, Rotala Bonsai & Althernathera Reineckii "mini.
These wil be incorporated to the tank with the Bonsai replacing the Blyxa Japonica & the Reineckii "mini. replacining the Arcuata.
The shading you see on the white background is actually the LED shimmering of the surface turbulence, should have killed the filter - next time.
The Monte Carlo continues to carpet & Belem hair grass is coming to life, I have lifted the light another inch from the surface of the tank, thinking I will need to lift it another inch or two before I get it dialed in.

Errol

daworldisblack

Can't wait for mine to carpet like yours! Its slow but its getting there - the new additions should do well in this tank. Keep us posted!

charlie

It`s been sometime since I updated this thread. I suffered a massive loss of my CRS 100 +, due to my own negligence   :-[.
The system has a top off system which I use to refill the tank after a water change, I forgot to add Chloram X to the top off tank drained the water ,switched everything on & left to run some errands, needless to say I returned home a few hours later to the sad sight, was I ever ticked off at myself & was very close to just shutting the tank down.
I restocked the tank with some more CRS & thankfully I just noticed  babies this morning .
Apart  from some persistent  algae issue, the tank is doing well.

exv152

The tank looks good Errol. How would you rate the monte carlo vs HC? I personally found HC was a major pain.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Really like how the tank has progressed! The Chillis look good in there - nice and red. Def liking the Monte carlo! Much better rooting system compared to HC!

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on May 10, 2015, 10:08:42 PM
The tank looks good Errol. How would you rate the monte carlo vs HC? I personally found HC was a major pain.
Thanks guys.
I`m a Monte Carlo convert  :), like you I found HC to be a pain, for me it`s not for a long term scape.
Rah I have had good luck with the Monte Carlo, already had a big trim of it.
There is another foreground plant i want to try that is not readily available in Canada, but have my fingers & toes crossed  ;D that hopefully I`ll luck in to some  ;) ;) ;)

exv152

Quote from: charlie on May 11, 2015, 05:29:31 PM
There is another foreground plant i want to try that is not readily available in Canada, but have my fingers & toes crossed  ;D that hopefully I`ll luck in to some  ;) ;) ;)

Lol, I've got some growing emersed and as soon as I get enough going you can have some. But it doesn't do well with cories and other bottom dwellers that can easily uproot it. Greg is having better luck than me. Not sure about Rah. Fingers crossed.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

barefoot_golfer

charlie

barefoot_golfer