New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

15 Gallon CAD starfire build

Started by charlie, March 28, 2013, 06:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Quote from: charlie on April 10, 2013, 07:57:03 AM
the scape is done ( for now), HC started, now to wait for a few weeks.
May switch rocks if i find what i`m looking for.
Regards
Update time.
After several algae blooms & HC melting the tank is starting to come together. I have gone away from the manzy wood & only used 3 Seiryu  Rock , the main rock is not as tall as I would like it, but will do for now, there is still some more filling in by the plants & eradication of some lingering algae.
Regards
P.S please excuse the dirty pick up strainer  :)

exv152

Nice scape Errol, I like the HC and hairgrass combo. Did the hc melt on the dry start or after filling?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

You always keep us envious! Really like the nice scape here.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Thanks guys, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I sure enjoy it & it`s challenges  ;)
The HC melted after filling, truth be told I did not have the patience  to wait out the dry start, as such I went away & fill the tank  :D, I think 2 factors maybe responsible for the melting - the transition from emersed to submersed & some research revealed that it`s not uncommon to have plant melt with new ADA soil.
Errol

exv152

Quote from: charlie on September 03, 2013, 10:00:42 AM
Thanks guys, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I sure enjoy it & it`s challenges  ;)
The HC melted after filling, truth be told I did not have the patience  to wait out the dry start, as such I went away & fill the tank  :D, I think 2 factors maybe responsible for the melting - the transition from emersed to submersed & some research revealed that it`s not uncommon to have plant melt with new ADA soil.
Errol

It's definitely my cup of tea. I have an iwagumi going that I started dry for a couple of months, then recently filled it, and now my hc is going through something similar. It's not necessarily dying off, but the leaves look dull, even though they're pearling heavily with high co2 ~50ppm (fishless tank). But I've got it planted in a mixture of black onyx sand and flourite. Seems to work out better for the tiny hc roots.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

pm

Quote from: exv152 on September 03, 2013, 11:11:40 AM
But I've got it planted in a mixture of black onyx sand and flourite. Seems to work out better for the tiny hc roots.

+1 to a sand substrate for keeping HC rooted.  I grew better in a nutritious substrate for me (like Netlea soil), but just looking at it would cause it to uproot  >:(  Flourite sand mixed with Black Diamond blasting sand worked well.

charlie

exv152

Nice Errol. Are those micro rasboras of some kind?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Thanks Eric, they are Green Fire Tetra (Aphyocharax rathbuni), the white back ground does not help to show off their colors.
Errol

daworldisblack

Lol the itchy hands are at it again and it does not disappoint! Where did you get the rocks from? Is that the DHG Sp. Japan?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on May 19, 2014, 01:58:55 PM
Lol the itchy hands are at it again and it does not disappoint! Where did you get the rocks from? Is that the DHG Sp. Japan?
The itchy hands were hard at work all tanks felt the wrath, even a full stainless regulator  :P
Yes it is  the  Sp. Japan, thanks to you.
Errol

fischkopp

Nice, but a little plain for my liking. It needs a focal point. I can't believe that you are actually limiting this setup to 3 plants. That's so not you! :P
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on May 22, 2014, 10:44:20 PM
Nice, but a little plain for my liking. It needs a focal point. I can't believe that you are actually limiting this setup to 3 plants. That's so not you! :P
Thanks.
My understanding of Iwagumi must be different from yours. The rocks are the main focus in the tank with the plants as a secondary that will also account for the type of plants & the minimalistic ones in this tank, I attempted to have the largest rock as the main focus point, which again is what the rule of thumb in the Iwagumi style tanks.
Regards

fischkopp

I don't really know anything about Iwagumi - on top of my head, I could read up on it I suppose. You know that my comment isn't meant in a negative, but constructive way. I should have explained a little more why I think it's plain: I find that the layout is missing something that draws you in. The rocks appear almost equal in size even though the right one is slightly bigger and they are almost centered. None of them immediately pops. The plants are pretty much the same height; i presume once the background plants kicks in it will have a different feel. You could also work with different elevation in the substrate. Maybe a slight slope from one back corner down, or even both corners. That would give the scene more depth. Just my thoughts. Cheers!  ;)
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on May 23, 2014, 04:10:22 PM
I don't really know anything about Iwagumi - on top of my head, I could read up on it I suppose. You know that my comment isn't meant in a negative, but constructive way. I should have explained a little more why I think it's plain: I find that the layout is missing something that draws you in. The rocks appear almost equal in size even though the right one is slightly bigger and
Quotethey are almost centered
. None of them immediately pops. The plants are pretty much the same height; i presume once the background plants kicks in it will have a different feel. You could also work with different elevation in the substrate.
QuoteMaybe a slight slope from one back corner down
, or even both corners. That would give the scene more depth. Just my thoughts. Cheers!  ;)
QuoteYou know that my comment isn't meant in a negative,
Never took it as negative
QuoteI find that the layout is missing something that draws you in.
I somewhat agree, I tried to create that but with such a narrow tank, it`s not an easy task.
QuoteThe rocks appear almost equal in size
That`s a deception, since the rock closest to the front glass is approx. 1/4 the size of the largest rock & the other one is approx. 1/2 the size of the largest one.
Quotethey are almost centered
again a deception the largest rock is placed at 2/3 of the width of the tank from the left or from another point of view 1/3 from the right, so is the other one left of the largest one.
QuoteMaybe a slight slope from one back corner down
I`ll take a picture later , the back has approx. 4 inches & the front 2 inches.
Hope gives more clarity.
On another note the 25 gallon was easier to work with because it is deeper, picture coming soon.
Got to run now  ;)

charlie

fischkopp

Nice!. My bad. This is a good example of how one picture never does a tank justice! ;)

I hear you, the dimensions are pretty hard to work with. I have been shying away from tanks of this size.
my fish suck

charlie

As some of you know , I have developed an interest in discovering what all the hype about the LED craze is about.
I`m the kind of person that tries things for myself & learn first hand, as opposed to reading  on forums & regurgitating it as gospel.( most forums if not all has no shortage of that ), hence this thread.
In keeping true to form with my natural practices in this hobby, - I`m constantly changing things around in my tanks  Grin, I guess this keeps the hobby fresh to me and as such my interest, so I decided to pick on my 15 gallon CAD light tank again  Wink
Ok , so I re worked the tank, moving the Belem hair grass to the back of the tank ( background plants) and planted some Hydrocotyle tripartita / Japan ( thanks Rah & Ken) , and thought  now to let it grow in and enjoy...........
Not , 2 things presented itself just as that thought occurred (1) in discussion with a friend  about LED lighting he suggested that he had a couple of TMC  grobeam 600 not currently in use and I was welcomed to try them - did not take me long to reply - I will  Wink, a few days later I got a message saying he also has a tmc grobeam 1500 ultima that I can try too, OMG is this real  Cheesy, without taking a breath  I quickly replied to the message , confirming I`ll will take him up on the ultima 1500.
The second thing was , another plantacholic messaged me saying a distributor is expecting some "Tropica 1 2 grow"
plants . ( is it Xmas already), on that expected list  was -"Micranthemum 'Monte-Carlo' 1-2-GROW! "  hmmmm
I now expect that plant tomorrow to replace the freshly planted Hydrocotyle tripartita / Japan , did I say I like changing things around  Grin.
This morning I rigged up a gangster style hanging system to hang my loaned TMC Ultima 1500 ( Thanks Greg)
More to come....

exv152

I look forward to your feedback on the TMC 1500, maybe we can compare notes later.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g