New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

15 Gallon CAD starfire build

Started by charlie, March 28, 2013, 06:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on August 26, 2014, 02:08:47 PM
I look forward to your feedback on the TMC 1500, maybe we can compare notes later.
Sure thing.
Here is my Ghetto mounting kit for the light , think I should patent it ?  ;D

exv152

Quote from: charlie on August 26, 2014, 07:57:43 PMHere is my Ghetto mounting kit for the light , think I should patent it ?  ;D

Yes, definitely. The wife must be proud!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on August 27, 2014, 08:03:01 AM
Yes, definitely. The wife must be proud!

Not sure I would use that word "proud" ;)

charlie

First observation
The Zoo Med quad was sitting 3 inches above the top of the tank  and my high tech lux meter ( smart phone app) said approx. 19000 lux, keep in mind the accuracy is not my aim here , it`s just for reference.
The TMC Ultima 1500 had to be suspended  9 inches above the tank to match that Lux of approx. 1900, needless to say the light bleed when sitting requires sun glasses.

exv152

What about testing your quad tek fixture? Or whatever else you have onhand. I've tested my tek quad and got 4500-5000 lux at about that height.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on August 27, 2014, 03:01:07 PM
What about testing your quad tek fixture? Or whatever else you have onhand. I've tested my tek quad and got 4500-5000 lux at about that height.
Not really interested in the tek lights I have, I`m happy with them growing plants & don`t want to get caught up in the numbers game.
Only reason I wanted a reference point was so when I removed the  Zoo Med, it will give me a reference point on how high I need to raise the fixture so as not to shock the plants.
Quite honestly, from my point of view, we tend to over think this hobby, me included  :P
I really don`t think this hobby needs to be exact, I let the plants tell me.  ;)

charlie

After a slight delay compliments of Canada Post the replacement plants that will occupy the piece of land where the new growing in hydrocotyle tripartite occupy, have arrived safe & sound -thanks Rah.
The planting will soon commence  :D

pm

Hey are you the reason Angelfins is sold out of this plant??

charlie

Quote from: pm on August 28, 2014, 07:24:31 PM
Hey are you the reason Angelfins is sold out of this plant??
Maybe ............. I bought 3 pots, Menangerie is expecting a shipment & are taking special orders until tomorrow

charlie

Planting completed I followed the suggestion of planting by tropica, - cut each pad with scissors into 8 pieces & plant in clusters but if you like tedious & careful planting you can plant the same area of tank with one pot as illustrated by George Farmer   ;)
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/georges-one-pot-iwagumi-challenge.29695/
I have used my ghetto plant shield to give the plants a chance to root, as the fish may wnt to play around the freshly planted plant & make me sad & angry  :).

guck

charlie

I have now converted this tank to an exclusive hi tech ( whatever that means  ;D)shrimp tank, all the Crystal shrimp from my former shrimp tank has being moved to this tank & doing well loving their new home.
I have replaced the seiryu rock with lace rock due to the water hardening characteristics of the seiryu rock.
Picture to follow, plants are still filling in.
This will be my one of two tanks I will have, the other is my 79 gallon tank.
Errol

bettabreeder

Looks awesome Errol. Can't wait to see the updated photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exv152

How's the "ghetto mounted" LED working out for you?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on October 02, 2014, 01:57:14 PM
How's the "ghetto mounted" LED working out for you?

Pretty good, presently suspended 10 inches above the tank.
I will soon start lowering it to see the response.

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

daworldisblack

Man its looking awesome! I hope my Monte Carlo comes up like yours! That co2 tubing is sexy ain't it? What'd I say? :p Can't wait for it to fill in!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 03, 2014, 11:45:39 AM
Man its looking awesome! I hope my Monte Carlo comes up like yours! That co2 tubing is sexy ain't it? What'd I say? :p Can't wait for it to fill in!
Thanks Rah, I hope your Monte do well too, I`m loving this plant.

charlie

A few more pics of the behind the scene operation., a big thanks go out to Brian for building the stand frame work, I had the melamine panels cut to size @ Home Depot & applied it to the stand.
The filter which you don`t see behind the CO 2 rig is the same Eheim eco comfort 2236 it also drives the DIY reactor.
The heater is the same Hydor in line heater, Reef keeper Lite controller , Co2 is a Scott ( Matheson) all stainless steel  2 stage regulator build.
The Light is the TMC Ultima 1500 LED tile, kindly loaned to me by Greg to try,  it has made a good impression so far & I will  be seeking out one for this tank.
Regards