New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

135g Build

Started by Tman, April 12, 2013, 10:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tman

Hi, first post of many I'm sure. 8)

Visited my fav LFS today (AV) picked up 2x40lb LS and 30lb LR(very reasonable price i MIGHT ADD) JUST to get me started. What I hadn't planned for was my saltwater mix. I originally was planning on mixing my water today(in DT) and visiting LFS tomorrow but seeing as today was such a horrible day I called in sick to pay some attention to my really passion.

Question,
1. I have my LR in my DT with my RO/DI unit(100GDP) dripping no salt, am I killing the rock? Not really a big deal as it's only 30lb's but has made me curious. 
2. How long do I wait to add the sand?
3. How long should I let the water/salt mix mix?

Yep, you guessed it. 34yr old NewBie and loving it

Hookup

unfortuntely your rock is/will be dead.

you should wait a few hours (12 is good, 4 would be about min) for mixing salt and water.

sand is best bought dead, added whenever you like.  typically at the very beginning.

135g is a big "first system".  what got you interested enough to jump to that starting point (which btw, bigger is better and easier so good stuff!)

Tman

That's what I thought. I've read that some of the beneficial bacteria may shutdown and come back to life but I guess time will tell.

135g  is pretty large and the reason I went this big was a friend of mine(really a coworker) had a system up and running and was always talking about it. I'd had fresh water system all my life, Oscars etc.. And really the more I read the more I got hooked. I had the room for a 135g and somehow convinced the wife and well bada bing bada boom it's now in the basement. Don't get me wrong, alot of planning+$ has gone into this endeavor.

Have a lot to learn. Had a look at your build (insanely nice BTW). Make me think I'll be turning this tank into a frag tank and go crazy custom like you in a yr or so.

Make me glad I've never tried hard drugs cuz I think I have and addictive personality. lol

Will post some pics in the days to come...

Hookup

LOL... OCD is part of reefing...

Looking fwd to the photos.