New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Growth of Rics and Shrooms

Started by gerryo, April 30, 2013, 09:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerryo

I have a problem with the growth of my Mushrooms.  They don't   :'(

I have a small Green Stripe, an extremely small Green Stripe, a small Blue, and a small Red/Orange.  I also have a small Yuma.

But they don't grow.  Everyone says they have problems with Shrooms taking over their tank, but I can't get them to grow, period.

All my parameters are real good.  I have 8 SPS that are growing well, 4 Leathers that are overgrown, some Zoas that sort of tag along, and a Candy Cane that is holding it's own in all this mixup.

But the Mushrooms don't grow, or split.  They are well coloured, and glow nicely under the Blue Lights.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc??????

Feivel

Try putting them in a zone where you think there is little to no flow. I also have "troubes" with mushrooms. and found that helped. You can take the mushrrom out and split it into 4 quadrants and put them into a dollar store basket with some rubble. Heck you can throw mushrooms in a blender and they will recover.

As far as nutrience or chemistry is involved im not sure what they need. My green stripe mushroom has made 6 babies in 2 years and the yumas/rics are known to multiply VERY slowly. My florida ricordia has not spawned ive had it for over a year. Have patience, this stuff will happen on its own and then youll curse the mushrooms :P

robt18

I find with rics it tends to be a waiting game as well... but if your SPS are doing well that could be a sign that the water is very clean, and mushrooms tend to like a little bit of nitrate I find. They also gobble up iodine, so if you're low in that department that could contribute to the problem.

gerryo

Thanx for the suggestions, Guys.  I'm ready to try anything.   :(

Terry

You might try an iodine supplement.  Mine grew and reproduced much faster when I was using it, so I stopped before they took over the tank.  Not sure about specific conditions.   I have green striped (watermelon) growing in bright light, medium light and low light all in the same tank.  Circulation differs in each spot as well.  I do notice that a mushroom in a spot it doesn't like will move or cut loose and float around.  So I pretty much let them sort themselves out.
Terry

Liquid

Could be the LED as well, they dont particularily like high light levels.  Try a shady spot.

Stussi613

I've got a ricordea Vietnam in my 8g that's kicked out 3 babies since I got it... I've been told that shrooms like "dirtier" water parameters than SPS do and it can be hard to keep them together.
I haz reef tanks.