New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brendan's 20L Shrimp Tank!

Started by bettabreeder, May 08, 2013, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

Ok so as I delve deeper and deeper into the world of shrimp I thought it would be a fantastic idea to get the head start on what will hopefully be a Taiwan Bee shrimp tank. I currently have 6 mischlings housed with my crs but once this tank is completely cycled I intend to order some red wine and possibly a blue bolt.

So the specs... well as the title states its a 20 gallon long tank with dimensions equalling 30"x12"x12".

FILTRATION
Eheim 2215 toned down a bit

LIGHTING
Hagen glo T5HO

SUBSTRATE
Amazonia aqua soil 9Lt.

FLORA
Dwarf sag
HC
Dwarf hair grass
Java Fern
Various mosses
Duckweed
and possibly spiral val

FAUNA
Shrimps:
6 mischling
2-3 wine red
1(?) Blue Bolt

Decorations
Inert rocks
Driftwood

I intend to update this thread periodically as events with the tank occur.

Cheers,
Brendan

pm

I just recently setup my first dedicated shrimp tank (as you know), and I can see how an addiction can form  ;)

Are you planning on splitting the tank up for different shrimp, or  keeping it as one big body of water?

bizfromqc

Shrimps are a lot of fun.

I no longer have a "fish" tank in the house, just a small shrimp only Fluval Spec III with CRS and "Léon" (the name my 3 year old daughter gave to the Zebra Nerite Snail).

Problem now is there's starting to be a lot of them in there (the Spec III is around 3G). Just bought a 10G to rehouse them. Nothing bigger for now, once the 10G is filled up with a colony, the surplus will be going for sale on OVAS/La Niche.

Cant wait to see the tank Brendan, keep posting pictures!

bettabreeder

Quote from: pm on May 09, 2013, 09:12:27 AM
I just recently setup my first dedicated shrimp tank (as you know), and I can see how an addiction can form  ;)

Are you planning on splitting the tank up for different shrimp, or  keeping it as one big body of water?

Hahaha absolutely it just snowballs into different varieties which means different tanks.... As of right now I'm trying to keep it open. Might have to put one in there if my CRS tank continues to not cooperate.
Quote from: BizFromQC on May 09, 2013, 09:59:25 AM
Shrimps are a lot of fun.

Cant wait to see the tank Brendan, keep posting pictures!
They are a bunch of fun. And thank you.

pm

Is that light a single or double bulb?  I ask as you may need to raise it up a bit or it might turn into an algae factory before long.  The tank is only 12" deep right?

bettabreeder

Ya I'll def raise the lights once I get a stand made for the tank.

bettabreeder

After getting plants from the great group of people here today I was able to come up with this. Comments and feedback welcomed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

fischkopp

Lotsa plants! A few thoughts from me: limnophila aromatica is a nice plant, but it will outgrow your tank in no time, keeping you busy trimming if you don't want the other plants suffer in the shade. A taller tank would be better. The HC will make a nicer carpet quicker if you break it up a little more. And if you shoot a picture, it's always good to give the tank a little clean beforehand. ;)

Happy aquascaping!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

exv152

Nice setup. I see from the picture you have a ceramic diffuser sitting on the counter. Any plans for co2?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bettabreeder

Quote from: fischkopp on September 30, 2013, 11:01:18 AM
Lotsa plants! A few thoughts from me: limnophila aromatica is a nice plant, but it will outgrow your tank in no time, keeping you busy trimming if you don't want the other plants suffer in the shade. A taller tank would be better. The HC will make a nicer carpet quicker if you break it up a little more. And if you shoot a picture, it's always good to give the tank a little clean beforehand. ;)

Happy aquascaping!
Thanks for the advice, I will break up the HC and the tank is clean now as I planted everything quickly before my lacrosse game and liked the look so snapped a few pics with it dirty :P

bettabreeder

Quote from: exv152 on September 30, 2013, 12:36:58 PM
Nice setup. I see from the picture you have a ceramic diffuser sitting on the counter. Any plans for co2?
I will have my pressurized CO2 set up going again once I fill my tank this week

trakturboy

Oh! .. I am SO riding the same 'crazy train'
I've only been into this hobby for 4mths and I now have 2 dedicated shrimp tanks and .. well .. possibly an addiction !

Tank 1: (3gal)
 - 10 red rili              <-- purchase @ kick-off
 - 5 amano
 - 4 sunkist

Tank 2: (3gal) (This tank is being used to grow plants for a 38g that I'm starting)
 - 6 chocolate          <-- purchase @ kick-off
- plants:
 - 1x Crypt petchii
 - 2x Dwarf Sag
 - 2x Anubias barteri var. nana
 - 4x Anubias minima

New additions "En Route"
 - 6 snowball             <-- due to arrive Thursday
 - 4 sakura (orange) <-- due to arrive Thursday

** Sorry  :(  no photos yet .. stay tuned **

bettabreeder

Quote from: trakturboy on October 01, 2013, 09:56:11 AM
Oh! .. I am SO riding the same 'crazy train'
I've only been into this hobby for 4mths and I now have 2 dedicated shrimp tanks and .. well .. possibly an addiction !

Tank 1: (3gal)
  - 10 red rili              <-- purchase @ kick-off
  - 5 amano
  - 4 sunkist

Tank 2: (3gal) (This tank is being used to grow plants for a 38g that I'm starting)
  - 6 chocolate          <-- purchase @ kick-off
- plants:
  - 1x Crypt petchii
  - 2x Dwarf Sag
  - 2x Anubias barteri var. nana
  - 4x Anubias minima

New additions "En Route"
  - 6 snowball             <-- due to arrive Thursday
  - 4 sakura (orange) <-- due to arrive Thursday

** Sorry  :(  no photos yet .. stay tuned **
Sounds like you're making quite the start! I've been keeping shrimp for close to 4 years now so if you have any questions or just want to chat about them holler away!

bettabreeder

so new updates tonight... completely redid the foreground aquascape. spent hours cutting and planting glosso and seperating my HC cuba. I think I found the perfect BPS at 1.5 as my Limnophila Aromatica was pearling and my Echinodorus Quadricostatu as well! pictures to follow tomorrow as I dirtied the tank a bit while rooting around in the substrate.

bettabreeder

So as promised... Here are the pics of my new foreground aquascape
fts

left side

right side

Jitters

Oh cool bettabreeder! I can't wait to see some pics one the plants grow out some. Your tank is amazing.

Lol @ Trakturboy. I know what you mean about the addition! I just got my first shrimp tank set up about 1.5 months ago, now I am trying to figure a way to get my wife to let me start a second one.

bettabreeder

Quote from: Jitters on October 12, 2013, 03:24:29 PM
Oh cool bettabreeder! I can't wait to see some pics one the plants grow out some. Your tank is amazing.
Thanks man! I wasn't too happy with the rock placement so I ended up buying mystery dragon stones from Big Al's but they skyrocketed my KH values which is a huge no-no if I do go through with my Taiwan Bee plan. I can already see some growth on the glosso and L. Aromatica. Even with my CO2 woes as my regulator is leaking I'm having good growth and a ton of bubbling from all plants when lights are on.

bettabreeder

Did some trimming today and got the idea to possibly hold off on the shrimp for a while and fill this with celestial pearl danios just to make it pop a little more fts
left side right side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daworldisblack

Looks like the carpet is filling in! Maybe try having only one type of rock in there? The diff colours detract from the overall look I think. Just my 2 cents :)
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!