New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brendan's 20L Shrimp Tank!

Started by bettabreeder, May 08, 2013, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

bettabreeder

charlie

can`t wait to see it mature, you got the bug for colour now  :P

bettabreeder

Here's an update. First real trim for the tank. I'm getting really good growth and I'm going to start dosing. I've been battling algae and developed some weird sort of film on the top of the water. I figured it's from the fish food but I'm not entirely too sure. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Mike L

You can make a surface skimmer very easily to get rid of the surface scum using power head and a small soft drink bottle. PM if interested

daworldisblack

You can also aim the output of your outflow or a powerhead slightly towards the surface of the water to get some water movement going. A surface skimmer may mean pumping more co2 in. Also shrimps love that surface scum - put some floating plants and they'll latch on upside down and munch on it.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bettabreeder

Thanks mike and rah. I already have the spray bar pointed upwards but not at max flow as it tends to disturb the aquasoil at the front. Might just take it close to full speed and see if that helps

charlie

Quote from: bettabreeder on March 31, 2015, 01:36:52 PM
Thanks mike and rah. I already have the spray bar pointed upwards but not at max flow as it tends to disturb the aquasoil at the front. Might just take it close to full speed and see if that helps
Mount the spray bar on the side panel, so the flow goes along the length of the tank, it may need shortening.

Mike L

Surface skimmer will not add any co2 that I know of.
Take a small personal soda bottle because they are rigid.Remove the label and glue. Cut out bottom of bottle and cut V grooves about and inch or so down all the way around. Drill a hole in the cap the size of the power head intake. Place foam filter in the cap end of the bottle to prevent floss from being sucked up the power head. Add floss and mount upside down with the V opening such that you have overflow enough to keep the power head primed. Your surface will be clear as glass in an hour or so tops. Can't take credit for it as I googled several builds and found this to be most effective.
Mike

daworldisblack

Quote from: Mike L on March 31, 2015, 04:36:05 PM
Surface skimmer will not add any co2 that I know of.

Sorry I meant the agitation will degas the co2 from the water quicker which means theres a need to pump more co2 in. Might be negligible as there are other factors like water temperature but I know its been brought up before in other discussions re skimmers and co2 in planted tanks. CO2 degases pretty easy apparently?

charlie

CO2 is easily out gassed, but as posted ,it is easily compensated by increasing your injection.
You want a slight ripple going along the length of the tank, not a huge wave which will create  splashing & lots of outgassing, the light ripple will also promote gas exchange, never a bad thing.
The reason your spray bar is creating disturbance with the front of the tank, is that the way it is mounted presently the span is only 12 inches , the water hits the front panel-down & back to the rear of the tank.
Mike that suggestion does work basically a ghetto eheim surface skimmer, that said it`s not for everyone as it does stick out like a sore thumb in a nice planted display tank  :P ;)
Errol

Mike L

Because the skimmer power head is so low you can aim in such away as to create no surface agitation. If the power head is not to strong ie 400 GPh say for that tank it works great, however it would depend on tank size. 
Charlie keep in mind your only running it for a couple of hours. After that your might not need it for quite some time. I did this in a 75 gallon tank a month ago 2 hours run time haven't had to use it since.

On another note when I did this I had tiny bugs that looked a little like shrimp or baby mosquitos in the fine floss.  So tiny you almost could not see them unless they moved. What would that have been.
Mike

bettabreeder

Increased flow and was able to eliminate surface film. In other news I upgraded to lily pipes!!!

bettabreeder

Quick little update here. Finally finished this semester so I had time to work on the tank. Here's what it is looking like now

charlie

barefoot_golfer

Love the mix of colour & texture .... Great job!

bettabreeder

daworldisblack

Looking good man! All that growth from that dual bulb fixture!

fischkopp

This tank has come a long way. Great job! Love it!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

bettabreeder

Thank you for all the compliments guys!