New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brendan's 20L Shrimp Tank!

Started by bettabreeder, May 08, 2013, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 22, 2013, 10:49:56 AM
Looks like the carpet is filling in! Maybe try having only one type of rock in there? The diff colours detract from the overall look I think. Just my 2 cents :)
X2

bettabreeder

How does this look? right side.
fts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daworldisblack

Better! Another tip to add on to the hardscaping is to maybe vary the size and height so there is more then just one dimension. Maybe work with the angles, orientation, placement - odd numbers work best - its looking good!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bettabreeder

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 22, 2013, 04:05:25 PM
Better! Another tip to add on to the hardscaping is to maybe vary the size and height so there is more then just one dimension. Maybe work with the angles, orientation, placement - odd numbers work best - its looking good!
Rah, do you think I should go three and three on each side then?

daworldisblack

I think it'd be too symmetrical - maybe 5/3? It also all depends on how you position the rocks and what angles they are placed in. Stand some up tall and some low to add variety. It always takes a fair amount of adjusting to get it just right lol

bettabreeder

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 23, 2013, 02:13:45 PM
I think it'd be too symmetrical - maybe 5/3? It also all depends on how you position the rocks and what angles they are placed in. Stand some up tall and some low to add variety. It always takes a fair amount of adjusting to get it just right lol
I'll give it a go but unfortunately there are all similar sizes. I bought some rocks from big al's but they leached a significant amount of carbonate minerals that I decided to pull them out. School midterms just ended so I have some time to play with rock positioning tonight. Will upload a picture when I figure it out

charlie

Brendan some good rocks are the dragon stone/Okho stone, does not affect the water & looks awesome, both Big Al`s & La Niche carry it.

bettabreeder

Quote from: charlie on October 23, 2013, 04:51:43 PM
Brendan some good rocks are the dragon stone/Okho stone, does not affect the water & looks awesome, both Big Al`s & La Niche carry it.
Sounds good Errol! I was looking for okho stone and couldn't find any. I did find this though. It raised GH and KH

daworldisblack

The other kind of rock that looks good is the petrified drift wood - BA also has them so maybe you could take a look at those too

bettabreeder

Yee that looks nice. Ended up going with some dragon stone because I couldn't see any okho stones. Pics to come eventually. Soaking them in a bucket now

daworldisblack

Quote from: bettabreeder on October 24, 2013, 06:28:28 PM
Yee that looks nice. Ended up going with some dragon stone because I couldn't see any okho stones. Pics to come eventually. Soaking them in a bucket now

Lol nice.. Dragon stone IS Ohko stone! :p Looking forward to the pics!

bettabreeder

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 24, 2013, 06:35:28 PM
Lol nice.. Dragon stone IS Ohko stone! :p Looking forward to the pics!
haha rookie mistake! It just looks so different underwater then dry! :D

sas

Quote from: bettabreeder on October 24, 2013, 06:28:28 PM

Looking forward to seeing what you've done. I bet it's going to look fantastic!
Did BA have lots left of  Ohko stone left?

bettabreeder

Quote from: sas on October 25, 2013, 12:09:05 PMLooking forward to seeing what you've done. I bet it's going to look fantastic!
Did BA have lots left of  Ohko stone left?
Thank you! I hope it will be. I have time tonight after work to tinker around with how it looks so I want to get it just right. I picked mine up at kanata and there was just a couple left. Small pieces though.

charlie

bettabreeder

Quote from: charlie on October 25, 2013, 12:34:03 PM
Where is the pics  ;D
Building suspense ;D

bettabreeder

More suspense building!!!

bettabreeder

The wait is finally over! Let me know what you think! full tank shot
left side
right side

exv152

Ohko is nice for an iwagumi. But I would stick with one type of stone only to create harmony, as suggested, and not line them up in a row.  BTW, nice to see another sens fan on the forum too.

An example:

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bettabreeder

Quote from: exv152 on October 26, 2013, 05:06:26 AM
Ohko is nice for an iwagumi. But I would stick with one type of stone only to create harmony, as suggested, and not line them up in a row.  BTW, nice to see another sens fan on the forum too.

I would ideally like to do that eventually. Mayb tomorrow I'll break down the rocks. Big Al's only had a couple pieces left so I just grabbed the three I liked. Did a huge change today... Raised the light. I finally feel professional :P