New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brendan's 20L Shrimp Tank!

Started by bettabreeder, May 08, 2013, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

Hey guys! It's been a while but after a little hiatus I'm back! School has settled down for a day or two so I have some time to work on this tank aka my HC mat was starting to lift off so I pulled it all up and I'm going to replant it and hopefully work in a new aquascape in the future. I have some SSS+ CBS berries so I don't want to play with it too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bettabreeder

So it's been a while but I ended up tearing this tank down and today started new. I'm hoping that this scape will last for a while. I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

So this is what the tank looked like right before tearing it down

Here is the middle of rescaping

Left side placed

Right side coming together

Working with HC for planting

Getting somewhere....

daworldisblack

Thanks some skillz with the hardscape! Pretty great start man!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bettabreeder

Here's a fts. Something is just not sitting right any suggestions?

charlie

Good going.
If you are not happy with it , (BTW I love the rock work on the left side) You can try this & see how it looks -
the large rock on the right side, if you can flip it & bury it some ,so you get  more of a lower rise, with the smaller ones half buried too. ( could also try making a slightly smaller rock out of the big one0
Move the red Ludwigia red sp more to the right, slightly behind & right of the centre rock of the left group of rocks.
move the tall grassy plant( giant hair grass?) from the right to the left side back where the ludwigia was..
Put the Arcuata on the right side where the Tall grassy was.
just a suggestion.

bettabreeder

Thank you, I'll try that. Definitely agree the right side rocks are too big. Any suggestions for the foreground? I think it's the glosso that is throwing me off right now.

charlie

As you have already experienced the HC will lift, combine that with the glosso & HC growing into each other & you now have that more hands in the tank more frequent.
If you want to keep the 2, I would probably plant the entire front with HC, instead of what appears to be now - 2 banks of HC & the glosso in the middle . Put a barrier/  divider & plant the glosso centre back.

bettabreeder

Thanks Errol I'll keep that in mind. Here's a quick little tinkering photo. I still need to fix the rocks on the right side. Perhaps tomorrow nights project. Feedback is always welcome!!!

bettabreeder

bettabreeder

Basically the same just added some cabomba
Feedback always welcome!

Dxpert

Looking great! Love the hardscape. Do the rocks still leach hardness or have they stopped after a year?

bettabreeder

Thanks! The jury is out on that one because I added new rocks to this scape so my KH is around 2 but I'll test GH when I'm home today.

bettabreeder

I was in and out of the house all day yesterday so I forgot to test the parameters but I'll check them tonight. In other news. Between all the running around Errol helped me out with some plants I wanted for this tank so here is the update... Still entertaining stocking ideas if anyone has two cents.

Dxpert

Love the nice colour that you have going on in that tank, great work on the scape.

bettabreeder

Quote from: Dxpert on March 16, 2015, 10:51:44 AM
Love the nice colour that you have going on in that tank, great work on the scape.
Thanks! And to answer your earlier question it appears as if the rocks do not leech after a year as my KH is ~1 and GH is at 2.

charlie

Quote from: bettabreeder on March 16, 2015, 04:41:53 PM
Thanks! And to answer your earlier question it appears as if the rocks do not leech after a year as my KH is ~1 and GH is at 2.
Dragon stone does not leach.

bettabreeder

charlie

Quote from: bettabreeder on March 23, 2015, 04:14:02 PM
Here's some progress guys!
Hey Brendan some nice growth, good work.
What is the 2 clump of plants in the middle back?

bettabreeder

It's hair grass I'll take a side shot in a minute

charlie

I find it distracting at least from the picture, maybe thin/spread it out, as opposed to having it in 2 clumps.
What is the other plant close to it? :)