New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

pond built from a swimming pool?

Started by fishmonger, May 24, 2013, 08:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmonger

Hi All, Im considering moving to a home with a pool, Im not so interested in a pool, and the liner is shredded already.  Its a circular pool, not less than 15 feet in diameter, about 9 feet deep (guessing here) Im thinking with a lot of fill, I could create a 5 foot deep pond with this, just wondering about the feasibility and where Id begin?  Or if I should even try.  I know it would require circulation.  I had a small pond as a child and loved it.  This could be a dream come true for me if it's do-able.

Given that its self draining at the moment, Im not worried about rushing into anything, and the build would be incremental due to finances.

lucius

Suggest you check out this older thread concerning the pond depth.

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=56375.0

robt18

If there's already a 9ft deep pool, they'd already need to have an appropriate fence by the same law.

Why would you look to make it shallower? More depth is almost always a good thing. If you really do want to make it shallower, the only thing I'd check on is how the filter system works on it. If you plan to use it in some way, make sure you aren't blocking any intakes/outputs, etc.

fishmonger

Im fortunate that it already has a fence built around it, and even a deck around half of it.  Im thinking make it shallower only because I don't think I need it to be super deep, but that part is up for reconsideration.  As I said, Im only in the dreaming stage, if I have the pool already there, might as well make what I want from it, right?  :)