New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Snowflake eel compatibility...

Started by Parisiot, July 17, 2013, 07:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parisiot

Picking up my snowflake eel as soon as they can get it out of the rock it's hiding in from the lfs.
Wondering if anyone knows of a good way too see if it's going to wipe out my entire hermit crab, shrimp and clownfish population other than the obvious..
Skeptical about it, but I have seen many pair with shrimp and be docile with other tank mates.

Herstead

From Live Aquaria:

"The Snowflake Eel is safe to house with any fish it cannot easily swallow. It can be housed with some invertebrates, like anemones and corals, but not crustaceans."

They usually know what they are talking about.

- Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

Parisiot

So basically say goodbye to my clownfish, blood shrimps and hermit crabs.. :(

robt18

Snowflakes are hit and miss. While they're typically/naturally live-feeding carnivores, if they've been used to eating frozen food their whole lives/have been trained onto it in captivity and haven't eaten live in some time, they have been known to leave everything alone. They do sometimes hang out with cleaner shrimp for the cleaning service (not sure if they'd be so friendly with the blood shrimp who aren't as useful to keep around...), but in the past I've seen some get along quite well with everyone. More often than not though, putting a predator into a tank full of food will have the expected outcome :P

Greatwhite

Fishtail had one at the end there.. It was HUGE, and apparently was in a full reef setup with no issues...

Like with everything, it's hit & miss whether a critter will act like people expect.  You can only experiment, and hope for the best - but plan for the worst.

If it's worth the risk to your other inhabitants to have a snowflake eel - go for it. :)

Surfdog

I keep only Eels. Yes, say goodbye to the hermits, As to the shrimp, probably as well. Your fish will be fine as long as you feed regularly, every 4 days is my way of keeping peace. I have never lost a fish to my Eels, Snowflake, Occilated, Zeebra and Black stripe. But the second they saw the hermit....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD