New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New To Saltwater 30g First Build (All advice welcome)

Started by werehatwere, August 07, 2013, 12:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

werehatwere

After looking at all these beautiful saltwater tanks, I can't help but feeling I'd like my own.
It took looking at Stussi613's nano tank to finally put me over the edge. ;D

I have had a 30gallon tank that I have been using as a guppy community. Well the Guppies will all be moved soon, and I am hoping to start a very basic reef tank. I am planning on keeping all soft corals. Nothing too hard yet.
After doing ooooooooooooooodlle's of reading and research on water chemistry, lighting, heating, and corals, I have decided to embark on the quest. :o

I plan on taking it quite slow, get lot's of advice on each aspect, and do it right the first time.

Filtration.
The plan is to have the 30 gallon with no sump for now. I will be using HOB filters one aquaclear rated for 40 gallons, the other a tetra I believe rated for 70.

Lighting
As for lighting, I am looking at metal hallide lamps. I have one in mind that, if I have done my research correctly, should be able to grow soft corals
I was looking at this system.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hamilton-cabo-sun-single-ended-metal-halide-reflector.html

Water Movement
I was thinking two Korilla Nano 425's, one in each back corner, for a total of 800gph flow, plus the two filters.

To Do List.
1.Empty out current tank, get fish and plants settled into new tank
2.Wash out tank, set up
3.Place order at Bulk Reef Supply
4.Buy live sand and rock, aquascape tank
5.Set up goodies from BRS
6.Cycle tank
7.Begin stocking

Stussi613

I'm pretty sure that light you've linked to is for a reflector only...you would still need a bulb, ballast and socket to get that thing running. For what that would cost you it might be better to look at a couple of stunner strips that would give you good results with soft corals.
I haz reef tanks.

Nicolas

I think stussi613 is right, it's only the reflector. You don't need metal halide lamp to grow soft coral. Maybe go with t5 HO instead. You would get enough light for soft and some LPS and eliminate the heat problem cause by metal halide.

lucius

Quote from: werehatwere on August 07, 2013, 12:57:23 AMI have had a 30gallon tank

If your 30 gallon is like mine and it's 36" long, there is 36" Tek Light fixture for sale in the classifieds.

ray

A decent T5 will support any coral including clams and SPS if so wanted
Ray

Greatwhite

Ditch the filters and get a nice little hang on back skimmer instead.  Filters trap organic waste and generate nitrates which you don't want.  Skimmers use tiny air bubbles to separate the organics from the water into a collector cup, which you can then dump down the sink.

And as previously indicated, forget about metal halide unless you are here from the 90s and will be going back in time to do your build.  :)  T5s are nice, LEDs are even better.  The MH will throw off A LOT of heat, and run your hydro bill up unnecessarily.  It may also be too much light for that size of tank (yes, that IS possible)

Going slow is great, but if you take the right steps the first time, you can save money in the long haul.  I, personally, have wasted more money on getting my setup to its current state because I started out buying equipment that I thought was "good enough for now" and didn't have a forum like this to bounce ideas off and get feedback.

It seems that you're on the right track, planning things ahead.  I'd just suggest "spending a little more up front" if you can.

werehatwere

I'm fine with spending as much upfront as needed  :)

After reading numerous forms and sites, MH came highly recommended. I did also pick up on the fact that there maybe some debate about whats's best.  ;)

If I were to get a T5 fixture, should I go with 4 bulbs or six?

Thanks
Adam.

werehatwere

Better yet, can someone recommend me some lights to use?

Thanks
Adam

Stussi613

Ecoxotic Stunner Strips work great and don't break the bank, and usually in stock at Marinescape. There are literally thousands of lights you could use, and most people will tell you to try to future proof...allot of people are going with LED's now because they run cooler, use less electricity and are programmable.  You normally can't ramp up a metal halide, or T5 HO bulb.  If you wanted to go with a high end fixture 1 of the AquaIllumination (AI) Hydra fixtures at $399 would probably cover your tank, depending on how long it is.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can also build your own fixture and get exactly what you want. Quite a few people on OVAS have done it.

Can you post the dimensions of your tank?
I haz reef tanks.

werehatwere

Yes the dimensions are 30x12x19.

Actually, I  must say, i'm not half bad at using a soldering iron. I didn't know one could make ones own light holder.
I will have to look into this! :)

werehatwere

I just realized that I seriously over looked one aspect of a reef aquarium. Dosing. :-\

Some reaserch is in order.
Kind of a newbie mistake on my part. I had no idea dosing was involved in any way shape or form in a reef tank :o

BadTiming

For now, if your only keeping softies regular water changes should keep your parameters in check. They like the water a little dirtier than SPS so if you miss a week not much of an issue.

Get good test kits. Salifert, Hanna

Lights - debatable pro and cons for all, MH, MH and T5's,T5's and LED's and LED's alone
Currently upgrading

Greatwhite

For a 12" wide tank, I wouldn't go any wider than 4 bulbs.  I had 6 on my tank, that was 18" wide, and found that it was too much.  Plus, you can supplement some blues with a small Reefbrite LED strip in the front if the fixture is narrow enough.

Like Stussi mentioned, good LEDs allow you to ramp up and down to simulate sunrise and sunset.  I like my Maxspect Razors, even though I can only control blues & whites.  Some (better?) fixtures have other colors to play with and program for ultimate coolness. Some fixtures will even go so far as to simulate the moon cycle with varying brightness of moonlight over the course of 28 days.

T5s have 2 settings - on and off.  Some fixtures may have 2 switches to control 2 banks of lights separately to "kind of" ramp up.  MH will be just on or off.

All this said, it's up to you what you buy... If you went with one Radion, Maxspect Razor, or AE SOL unit - and decide to upgrade your tank later to something bigger (which is bound to happen), you can buy a second (or third) unit.  If you buy a 30" T5, you'll be replacing that whole fixture with something bigger (or a couple/few LED units)...

Something that I LOVE is to have moonlight effects overnight.  The shimmer you get from a dim blue LED is beautiful, and some will say that the dim blue is beneficial to some corals who are photo synthetic.  You'll notice that they glow like CRAZY under a dim blue light at night... (see attached pic - this was taken under a dim blue LED on my old Coralife Power Compact fixture with Lunar LEDs)

werehatwere

Thanks for the advice. I think I have some considerations to work out.

Is that a (correct me if I'm wrong) Zoa coral? :o
It's quite beautiful.

I'm working out a deal with BadTiming for a possible 33 gallon tank, sump, skimmer and lights.

I was looking through a book and saw the most beautiful fish ever. A Lightning Maroon Clown. I have fallen in love with this thing.
I don't know if i'll have room for a pair of clowns in only a 30   :'( But I'm sure I can find some other beautiful fish.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS LITTLE GUY :)

Greatwhite

If I remember right, that amazing fish is a photoshop'ed april fools prank... Much like this Diablo Gecko...

Greatwhite

Oh, and a 30 is fine for a pair of clowns.  They don't take much space. :)

werehatwere

Wow they looked pretty real when I watched the video on their sight...I guess the magic of editing right :)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wIWJVcEXRY

BadTiming

Lightning Maroon Clown F1 just sold on ebay for $6100 US
Currently upgrading

ray

I don't believe it was photo shopped,here's link to breeder.Be prepared to pay if that is what you are wanting,one sold for 10K

http://www.lightning-maroon-clownfish.com/

ray

werehatwere

Greatwhite

Yeah..  I remember when this idea was new, and I thought someone exposed it as a hoax.  *shrug* :)  It's been a while.

Just remember - the cost of a fish is directly EXPONENTIALLY proportional to the uniqueness.  ;)

werehatwere

Maybe in 20 years they'll be mass produced and we can all buy them for the price of Guppies

werehatwere

I feel like this straying from the actual thread LOL

I just remembered that before any of this can actually happen, I need to find somewhere to give all my guppies and plants...

Plus I have a large freshwater project coming up so it may be a while before this all happens.

Stussi613

Quote from: Greatwhite on August 07, 2013, 01:26:33 PM
If you buy a 30" T5, you'll be replacing that whole fixture with something bigger (or a couple/few LED units)...

This is the best advice I've ever been given, and Greatwhite is bang on. Considering the modularity of new fixtures it only makes sense to future proof.

4 months ago I changed my 120g planted discus tank to a cichlid tank. 2 months ago I started my 8g reef and within 4 weeks I was planning out the change over of the big tank to a reef tank. I already have 125lbs of Marco rock and a plan for a rock wall made of spray foam and live rock and I'm going to be ordering a sump imminently.

It happens that fast.
I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

werehatwere

QuoteCan I get my hands on a frag of that Zoa, pretty please??

+1 Hold one for me too!!!

I'm not really all that knowledgeable on the LED front...I don't really understand how much is needed/ weather to buy strips or a big square block of them.

Dose anybody know a good site they can link me too to show me what sort of product I should be looking into?
Or explain it  :P

Thanks
Adam.

Greatwhite

I wish instill had that zoa. It disintegrated a loooong time ago in the tank crash of 2004. :( I haven't seen any like it in years... Of course, I haven't reeeeally been looking. ;) $10 says I can walk into Marinescape and get one just like it. (That's where the original came from)

werehatwere

Stussi613, You are right my friend.

Quote4 months ago I changed my 120g planted discus tank to a cichlid tank. 2 months ago I started my 8g reef and within 4 weeks I was planning out the change over of the big tank to a reef tank. I already have 125lbs of Marco rock and a plan for a rock wall made of spray foam and live rock and I'm going to be ordering a sump imminently.

It happens that fast.

Some of you may have seen my super fish breeding tank forum in the freshwater tank builds. Well guess what? It's not happening anymore  :( ;D...Both happy and mad at myself.

Let's get one thing straight. I don't yet actually have or have ever maintained a saltwater reef tank. Or a saltwater fish tank. Hell, I don't even know how to mix salt water properly yet. But after doing all the reading and research and exploring and planning, I have thrown my freshwater tank out the window. The $850 dollar budget I had for that tank, well, I have decided to grow it some more and put it all into one, large reef tank. It'll be a while, but I am so excited. It's so remote, so far off and so new, and I am loving every minute of it. ; :) :) :) :) :)

I think what really threw me over the edge was when, about an hour ago, my filter died. I moved all my fish into 5 gallon buckets, thought, "while the tank is water less, I may as well move it off this table and into the cavity in the wall." So I did. And after a quick trip to home depot, I have a temporary spray bar system put in place. Or thats the plan.

I bought one of those 180gph pond pipes, some PVC pipe, some elbows and a few spare crimps. Tomorrow I'll assemble it all.

Back to the salt water.
I realized that I really loved the look of rock in the aquarium. When I re aquacsaped this tank  a few hours ago, I made the focus on the rock. The thought of LIVE ROCK sent shivers down my spine. I knew then that 30 gallons wouldn't do it. I was diving into one of the MAJOR aquarium keeping realms I had never touched. And I figured, why not make a splash on my way in.

I have some very rough plans for a monster saltwater tank in the future. It's a long way off, and there is SO much more I need to learn before I reach that point. I'm hoping to have my 30 gallon up and running in the next month.

Every year my mothers family all migrates to our house for Christmas. I'm hoping to have it up and running for them.

I am anticipating both the happy dance and the sour moods in the future, but I can't wait.

I'll post a new thread for my mega build later on in a few months. But for now, keep the advice rollin' in, I'm gonna need it.

I'll post some pics of my spray system tomorrow. I hope I can transfer this system to saltwater when the 30 gallon gets salty  ;D

Thanks,
Adam.