New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Neons with whiteish bubble around mouth

Started by new2H2O, October 04, 2013, 06:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2H2O

Ahhh, help!

I have been out of the game for a while (living in Africa) and decided to set up a new tank about 6 months ago. Just a little 15gal in the kitchen (boy that rabbit hole is calling though).

I bought some neons and live plans from Big Al's after cycling the tank properly. Once they had been in for a couple of weeks I noticed that one of them seemed to have what looked like a defect. A bit of a fat lip but he ate and acted normally so I just let the poor thing be feeling a bit sorry for his disfiguration.

This was 5 or so months ago. It has grown. It seems to be covering his entire mouth but his colouring is fine and he is acting normally. Even tries to eat though cannot. I have noticed that some of the other fish are developping something similar.

I have checked a bit online and have seen that some other people have had this problem and have tried to treat it with several things but nothing doing.

It looks like an opaque white bubble or growth covering his whole mouth forcing it open. The other fish look like they have a flap of extra skin attached to thé bottom of their mouthes.

Was wondering if anyone here has heard of or knows of this....

Thanks fish people!

S

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

missavgp

I agree pics would help. Though it sounds like what my last neons had and it ended up being  neon tetra disease. Ultimately none of them survived as they were all infected. And mine also came from Big Al's. It started out with one having a growth but was still acting normal, then all of them started getting it over the course of six months. Then the discolouration started.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

ajm1961

I had something similar to some neons as well, but they were from Petsmart - is it a common disease?
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

missavgp

Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive