New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Post your shrimps!

Started by bettabreeder, October 16, 2013, 03:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

Here's a pic of my favorite species of shrimp I've owned so far... OEBT this guy is about a month old. Will get darker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie

Nice one Brendan.
Perhaps you can share some of your personal experiences with this species.
Errol

Jitters

Here's one of my mommas!

Oh and a blue guy :)

Sorry, couldn't decide what ones I liked better and I only have two types >.<

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

bettabreeder

Quote from: charlie on October 16, 2013, 04:59:42 PM
Nice one Brendan.
Perhaps you can share some of your personal experiences with this species.
Errol
I learnt the hard way that water quality is an absolute must with any form of Cardina shrimp species. I was used to having happy, healthy neo's in good old Ottawa tap water which when you begin to keep higher grades and more expensive shrimp will not cut it. Started out with 12 OEBT from alphaprobreeders 2 years ago. Quickly that population dropped to 4, yup just 4 OEBT shrimp. I must have put in great karma or had lady luck on my side because once I finally researched enough, bought distilled water countless times from the grocery store and researched some more I had a berried female in my tank. It was at that point I realized that to ensure quality shrimp I needed to invest in quality products. I ordered a small RO (reverse osmosis) unit from API that screws into most taps which has to date been fantastic to create 5 gallons of pure water in a pinch. I remineralize with Nutrafin African cichlid condtioner so that i have roughly 100 TDS and 5GH. KH needs to be 0 for high grade CRS and should be between 0-2 for OEBT. On top of these lessons acquired it is essential that water stability is maintained. That means minimum Ph swings, keep water cool and at a stable temp, get a master test kit and definitely invest in GH and KH test kits. Buy a cheap TDS meter from ebay. Inert substrate is okay for OEBT as long as you are able to maintain stable water (I cannot reinforce this point enough). I have bought nice inexpensive dual sponge filters that you can acquire on the ebay for $3. These provide excellent areas for biofilm to grow. Also driftwood in the tank is essential to provide grazing sites for OEBT and all other types of shrimp. On my 15g tank I have a Eheim 2213 running to maintain water quality and keep Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates at 0. Quality food can be your best friend in providing a happy environment for these guys. I have Borneo-wild products but have heard good things about Mosura products as well. Supplement diet with blanched spinach or grape leafs once in a while to boost calcium levels. A happy shrimp will molt and this can cause problems for shrimp if their environment and/or diet are off. I've seen it happen with one of my own OEBT as she molted and had damage to her shell.
Hope this helps people thinking of starting to keep shrimp!
If you have any additional questions I'm only a pm away and there are lots of good references on the internet!
Cheers,
Brendan

shrimpwiki

wrm130

Here's a line I'm working on

Lithops

It's my blue pearl shrimps from my 6 gallons

bettabreeder

Quote from: wrm130 on October 19, 2013, 10:15:54 PM
Here's a line I'm working on
Is that a colour morph of a chocolate neo?

wrm130

Quote from: bettabreeder on October 20, 2013, 11:03:23 AM
Is that a colour morph of a chocolate neo?

Morph. Never had chocolates.

bettabreeder

wrm130

A bad blue pearl purchase that I Mixed with wild neo's

wrm130

wrm130

bettabreeder

These are from my CRS/ lone CBS female tank.
berried momma
baby CRS
dark CRS from my cbs female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk