New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

clownfish ich??

Started by Darth, October 20, 2013, 10:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

okay so I go to feed my fish this moring and I notice the spots all over my clownish, I have had this fish for 3 1/2 years, last thing was added to the tank about 5 months ago, nothing has changed fish are normally healthy breeding pair who lay eggs every few weeks. [embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI0Uxtqw5GY&feature=em-upload_owner[/embed] Sorry the video is not the best.
Question what can I do to treat it, I do not have a qt tank, nor the space or funds to acquire one any help would be great

Nienna

If it is ich and not brook, there are generally three ways to treat it:

1 - Use of the transfer method as part of qt prior to adding the fish to the display tank

2 - Lowered salinity

3 - Medication

As far as I know, option 2 will not work because of your anenome and option 3 also kills corals/inverts.  While there are some medications out there that may claim to be reef safe, there are no scientific studies that actually prove they work.  What typically happens is because of the marine ich lifecycle the ich detaches and 'disappear' into a cyst off of the fish and so people think the medication worked, however the ich is still there and active.

Sorry there's no good options I can think of... I'd suggest getting a hospital tank and isolation asap in case it's not ich.

FocusFin

Relax, get some Selcon.

Don't move him, you'll only stress him further. Nutrition, Nutrition, Nutrition.

Hey Darth :)
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

FocusFin

I should add, I've had Tangs who looked like they were rolled in salt and after two weeks of Selcon in their food, problem solved.

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Darth

Quote from: FocusFin on October 20, 2013, 06:13:37 PM
Relax, get some Selcon.

Don't move him, you'll only stress him further. Nutrition, Nutrition, Nutrition.

Hey Darth :)
Hey Mike, how are you??

I will try some selcon, I wonder if she is just stressed, I see her belly is swollen with eggs, and she hasn't laid them yet because there is a clutch that is almost ready to hatch now

FocusFin

I probably sound like a broken when I recommend Selcon but really it's the absolute least invasive way of dealing with an outbreak and while you're curing the infected fish with it, the other fish are building up their immunity in order to fight off possible infection.

The fact that she is holding could be affecting her immunity. Generally, ich is present in almost any tank, it's just a matter of which fish are going to show signs and I think it's usually when they are stressed or lacking in nutrition.

This fish had Hole in the head.

This was a week after doing nothing other than adding Selcon to the food.

110g saltwater/reef