New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

75g - LED lighting - how much is required?

Started by Pogue, November 18, 2013, 09:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pogue

Hi everyone,

This 75g is my first saltwater tank in over 20 years. I've decided that I want to DIY an LED light system. I plan on keeping some Soft and LPS (maybe some SPS) down the road.

I'm hoping someone has experience with LED light for a reef tank. I know there are many maxing units available on the market. But I want to make my own.

Has anyone done the same and what wattage is enough.

I currently have:
10x 1 watt 10000k
3x 1 watt 402nm
3x 3 watt 455nm
6x 3 watt 6500k

I want to make sure I have sufficient lighting to keep the corrals health.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerryo

The lights that you have are NOWHERE near enough for a 75g tank.  I have 10 - 3 watt Royal Blue and 10 - 3 watt Bright White on my 28g Nano Cube.

I would suggest that you talk to the Crew at Rapid LED for advice.  Things have changed over the last 20 years, and we havw figured out that Corals need light, lots of light, to survive.

yellowtang

from the amount of leds you have over your tank- you have about 40watts of power
over your 75g.. leds are now changing rapidly, even the 75watts AI fixtures which were a
new trend few years ago have fallen behind the new more powerful fixtures. As Gerryo mention
the hobby has deff changed over the last 20 years. Best would to talk to one of our vendors or
our inhouse expert.
cheers.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

Stussi613

What are the dimensions of your tank?  I can certainly understand wanting to go the DIY route, but like Gerryo said I would definitely contact Rapid LED to get an idea of what they recommend for your setup.  You can also look into buildmyled.com, but I think you'd end up paying pretty close to the same price per fixture as what you can find an AI Sol for at some of the local sponsors.
I haz reef tanks.

ma_clement

I have a tank which is about half yours, (24x18x24) and I have only one multichip 50W led. I keep LPS just fine and I'm trying just now some SPS frags. you might want to look into those