New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

30g sump comments + recommendations

Started by Parisiot, December 11, 2013, 08:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parisiot

Here is my 30 gallon sump and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or comments on the way I have it set up.

It's hard to make out but there is a filter sock behind the skimmer and I plan to break that big rock in the middle into smaller rubble.

bandit

Looks good the only thing that could of been different is the skimmer baffle one would think it would be better if you can pull the water for the bottom out of that section to trap the surface skim. I did the same though lol.  I also don't fully trust those floats I run an ATO unit

Parisiot

Quote from: bandit on December 17, 2013, 07:40:32 PM
Looks good the only thing that could of been different is the skimmer baffle one would think it would be better if you can pull the water for the bottom out of that section to trap the surface skim. I did the same though lol.  I also don't fully trust those floats I run an ATO unit

So just remove the baffle all the way to the left? So it sucks water from the bottom instead?

Also, that float is hooked up to a 5 gallon bucket of water and I have about 6.5 gallons of room in the sump before spill if it were to ever get stuck on. Worst case, 5 gallons added to my system (max), to dilute a 75 gallon total volume.