New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What's a used tank cost?

Started by FocusFin, January 20, 2014, 08:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FocusFin

What's a reasonable price per gallon for a used tank.

Someone has a drilled 150gallon for sale with no scratches at $375 but I feel that's too high. I've always understood the general rule is 1$ per gallon, 1-2$ for drilled.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

robt18

Typically about $1/gallon for a regular tank that holds water, less that that it it's cracked, scratched or has blown seals. Drilled tanks will always go for a bit more, and bigger tanks cost more in the first place so they'll for a bit more. I'd probably say $300-375 range sounds right depending on condition.

FocusFin

Yeah, I figured $300 would be the maximum I would offer but of course it would depend on age and overall condition.

Thanks.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Stussi613

It also depends on the glass,  my 6 foot 130g tank has a starfire front door panel, there's no way I'd sell it for $130, even though it has minor scratches.
I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

Btw, most people who drill tanks charge $25 per hole for the service (or free) and they aren't tangible items so I don't see someone being able to charge an astronomical amount more for a Drilled tank. At best you're talking $75 to drill enough holes to sump a tank without holes already.
I haz reef tanks.

Achilles

What else comes with the tank, you add any kind of stand such as a nice wooden stand and this whole $1 per gallon is out the window. Also consider if its a standard size or not. What people should be doing is consider what the cost is new, go price it out in a couple of stores before thinking some ones asking price is unreasonable. Age is also a big consideration, I mean some just got the 210 last month or even in the last year and paid $1500, expected to let it go for $210 sounds unreasonable. Selling used should  be about helping each other out to a degree but with reason.

Stussi613

Quote from: Achilles on January 20, 2014, 12:38:51 PM
What else comes with the tank, you add any kind of stand such as a nice wooden stand and this whole $1 per gallon is out the window. Also consider if its a standard size or not. What people should be doing is consider what the cost is new, go price it out in a couple of stores before thinking some ones asking price is unreasonable. Age is also a big consideration, I mean some just got the 210 last month or even in the last year and paid $1500, expected to let it go for $210 sounds unreasonable. Selling used should  be about helping each other out to a degree but with reason.

You couldn't be more right my friend.  I was selling a one year old canister filter worth $250 for $140 and people were trying to offer me $50 for it because someone was selling a 10 year old Fluval filter on kijji for that price. I'm happy to keep that filter untill I need it again, thanks.
I haz reef tanks.

FocusFin

Thank you all for the input, I'm going to call and get additional information before making an offer on it.
110g saltwater/reef

Rybren

Mike,

Is going from 110G to 150G really worth the upgrade hassle?  Now, if you were thinking of 210G+, I'd be right behind you all the way.

Just sayin....

;D
120G Reef

FocusFin

Quote from: Rybren on January 20, 2014, 05:39:32 PM

Is going from 110G to 150G really worth the upgrade hassle?  Now, if you were thinking of 210G+, I'd be right behind you all the way.

Good question,

The tank in question is a 48X24X30.

I now have a 110g 48X18X30 which is in my bay window on an 56 inch ottoman I purchased specifically for the tank. I've always found the 18inch depth a pain in the butt for scaping as it's too narrow front to back.

I've kept my eye open for a 48 inch with a deeper dimension but that I can keep using with the ottoman.  Even without the ottoman I wouldn't want anything longer than 48 in the window since it already takes up a great deal of light.

This is the ottoman 5 years ago when I was setting up.

110g saltwater/reef

JetJumper

I am not saying this with any kind of disrespect but why do you call that an Ottoman?  I was under the impression Ottomans are something completely different.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Stussi613

I'm guessing you mean the stand?  If so, what are the dimensions of it?  Got Fish has a 4x2x2 that he might be selling for a reasonable price.

I know what you mean about scaping an 18" tank, I've been doing a rough layout in mine and it's going to be cramped for sure.
I haz reef tanks.

FocusFin

Quote from: JetJumper on January 21, 2014, 07:35:27 PM
I am not saying this with any kind of disrespect but why do you call that an Ottoman?  I was under the impression Ottomans are something completely different.

Yeah, I don't know why I called it that, an Ottoman's for your feet lol. Senior moment.

Quote from: Stussi613 on January 21, 2014, 07:56:12 PM
I'm guessing you mean the stand?  If so, what are the dimensions of it?  Got Fish has a 4x2x2 that he might be selling for a reasonable price. I know what you mean about scaping an 18" tank, I've been doing a rough layout in mine and it's going to be cramped for sure.

The stand is 48X21X29 so I think I can add 6 inches of framing behind it to accommodate a 24 inch depth. Honestly, I bought the stand new, for the tank and paid a lot for it at the time so I'd rather not have to replace it with something else.
110g saltwater/reef

Greatwhite

Quote from: JetJumper on January 21, 2014, 07:35:27 PM

Yeah.. My parents have a table like that, and call it a credenza... But I think they made up that word.  I prefer TV Stand, or in this case, aquarium stand.

Looks real nice, but where would you keep your sump?  Have you drilled right down to the basement?

FocusFin

Quote from: Greatwhite on January 22, 2014, 09:51:53 AM
Yeah.. My parents have a table like that, and call it a credenza... But I think they made up that word.  I prefer TV Stand, or in this case, aquarium stand.Looks real nice, but where would you keep your sump?  Have you drilled right down to the basement?

Credenza was what I was going for.

Sump is currently behind the the cabinet but I am in the process of moving it to the basement this week. I have the flexhose and am calling Mcfarlane Glass to cut the baffles today.

Cabinet will be for ballasts, power bars etc...
110g saltwater/reef

Greatwhite

That's awesome.  I'd love to have my sump in the basement - then there'd be no limit on size...  Perhaps I'll work my aquarium into my "finishing the basement plans" and build the sump into the utility room....... hmmmmm....

You'll need a sizeable return pump for ~12 foot rise...

FocusFin

The pump I have will get the water to the tank, the question is the turnover rate. If not, I'll swap it out.

It's a direct run with the only angle at the return over the rim of the tank.
110g saltwater/reef

alexv

Quote from: FocusFin on January 22, 2014, 11:45:38 AM
The pump I have will get the water to the tank, the question is the turnover rate. If not, I'll swap it out.

It's a direct run with the only angle at the return over the rim of the tank.

I've had a similar setup. The tank on the main floor with all the equipment in the basement. Worked really well.

See here: http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=57207.0

As for the price, I got to agree. Price per gallon works only to a certain level. When I got my 220 gallon, it costed me almost $2000 to build (starphire glass and all) . There is no way I'd sell it for $200.
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

FocusFin

Quote from: alexv on January 22, 2014, 12:32:33 PM
I've had a similar setup. The tank on the main floor with all the equipment in the basement. Worked really well.

See here: http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=57207.0

Funny, I already read through your thread last night for reference and then saw the tank for sale. My wife wants me to buy it but with that comes the need for two more Leds, live rock etc...
110g saltwater/reef

Greatwhite

Quote from: FocusFin on January 22, 2014, 01:03:15 PM

Funny, I already read through your thread last night for reference and then saw the tank for sale. My wife wants me to buy it but with that comes the need for two more Leds, live rock etc...

Wait -- your wife wants you to buy something aquarium related?  I've never met one of those mythical wives who encourage spending like this..