New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The next AGA convention

Started by wolfiewill, January 20, 2014, 08:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

Bad news for those of us talking about going to the next AGA convention: I have been told that rather than a fall event, they are looking at spring of 2015! There is some good news though, it's going to be on the eastern seaboard. It is tentatively scheduled for Washington, DC for April 10-12 to coincide with the cherry blossom festival. They are working out the hotel before they advertise. There is also an event in Chicago November 7-9 for which I will be getting more information.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

daworldisblack

Keep us posted! A road trip would be sweet!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

ajm1961

That sounds like a plan!
Washington is a great place to visit as well: Smithsonian, Lincoln memorial, White House, Georgetown...
Sad that their National Aquarium, the oldest in the US, was closed in September 2012. However the Baltimore Aquarium is only an hour away.

Anyway, April 2015 is duly noted!!
Thanks for posting!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

charlie

Thanks for posting Greg, you guys know how much arm twisting it would take to get me to go   :), ok you convinced me I'm in, are we there yet! ;D

wolfiewill

Ok, about Chicago: Cheryl Rogers has informed me that the event is called 'Aquatic Experience', it's new and it will be publicized in the next 'The Aquatic Gardener' journal. The had their initial event in 2013 (for those who know about it), but want to expand the planted tank side from the inaugural event. They hope to duplicate the Hanover, Germany event's 'The Art of the Planted Tank' live aquascaping contest. I've never been to Chicago!
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

wolfiewill

I just got an AGA newsletter about the next convention. I quote:

"The news you've all been waiting for: The 2015 AGA Convention, hosted by the Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association, is being held at the Sheraton Reston Hotel in Reston, VA April 10 – 12, 2015! Once we have speakers and other events lined up, we'll launch the 2015 AGA Convention web page and then you can register online for those events. But you can already reserve your spot at the hotel: https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/AquaticGardenersAssociation2015 or call Central Reservations at 1-800-561-9186 and ask for Aquatic Gardeners Association 2015 room block."

I'm going. Who's with me?!?!?!?

charlie

Quote from: wolfiewill on April 23, 2014, 07:45:09 PM
I just got an AGA newsletter about the next convention. I quote:

"The news you've all been waiting for: The 2015 AGA Convention, hosted by the Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association, is being held at the Sheraton Reston Hotel in Reston, VA April 10 – 12, 2015! Once we have speakers and other events lined up, we'll launch the 2015 AGA Convention web page and then you can register online for those events. But you can already reserve your spot at the hotel: https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/AquaticGardenersAssociation2015 or call Central Reservations at 1-800-561-9186 and ask for Aquatic Gardeners Association 2015 room block."

I'm going. Who's with me?!?!?!?

1 year away, but serious interest in going

ajm1961

Wow! Washington, haven't been there in close to 20 years! The AGA would be a great excuse to go for a family holiday... needless to say that the convention would be a highlight!!
Thanks for forwarding, will pencil that in!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Greatwhite

I am in DC pretty often. Nice place to visit. And - there are direct flights from Ottawa to DCA daily.

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

wolfiewill

There is an outside chance that I will be driving to this event, so I'm going to wait to book that; but shall I book some rooms now? Or should we look nearby for rooms? There may be better rates locally that are only a short walk away. Does anyone going do this often enough to advise me? Man I'm pumped!

Stussi613

Reston, VA is basically the outskirts of DC.  You won't find allot of hotels in "walking distance" from the Sheraton (I've stayed there before).  There is a Westin Hotel pretty much next door, then there is a Hyatt Regency across the Dulles Toll Rd over near the CIA's Reston buildings...but it's not really a walking type of area and the hotel is kind of off the road.

There is a really, really good Peruvian chicken place not too far from the hotel, if some of you are going I'll give you the details!!!
I haz reef tanks.

limmer

I am no expert but I would think it's probably best to stay at the convention hotel.
You are more involved there and in the centre of everything.
Usually the speakers stay there so it's a good chance to hang out with them.
You also won't have far to go if you want to take a break.
Check with the hotel, you probably can book the hotel now and cancel later with no penalty.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

Dxpert

Road trip sounds awesome, if there is room I'm in.

Stussi613

I'm really thinking about attending this one, even though I'm mostly into saltwater these days.
I haz reef tanks.