New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Metricide purchase

Started by wolfiewill, January 27, 2014, 12:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

I am going to order Metricide again and know exv152 wants a gallon. Does anyone else want to get in on this? It's $23.95 plus shipping and taxes for a gallon. See the web site to calculate total cost for more than two - http://www.vereburn.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9833
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

While we're on the topic of metricide. How much are you dosing? Are you diluting it, or dosing directly? I know metricide has a higher percentage of glutaraldehyde than excel does.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bettabreeder

I'll split a gallon with someone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfiewill

Quote from: exv152 on January 27, 2014, 12:43:32 PM
While we're on the topic of metricide. How much are you dosing? Are you diluting it, or dosing directly? I know metricide has a higher percentage of glutaraldehyde than excel does.
It's a 2.5% solution and Exel is 1.5%. So I dilute to make a 1.5% sol'n. I have been dosing at twice the Seachem suggested rates (2.0 ml/10 gallons) with Cherries, SAEs, otto cats and Platys in a low tech tank for many months now with no side effects. I can't tell if the Cherrys are breeding yet as I added a lot of them over a perios of a month before Christmas. I am breeding Cherrys at 1.5x the recommended dose with no issues yet (can't tell if reproductive rates are effected, nor mortality rates, etc., but there are littles ones of all sizes, colours are still very good). I dose two planted only, low tech tanks 3 and 5 times the recommended rates but have not done so long enough to be sure to have proportional growth. No die offs, but one species isn't growing at all, but that's Ammannia that I had been growing emersed for a year and some plants don't do well if they are reintroduced to aquatic conditions after growing emersed. I use glutaraldehyde (aka Metricide) after a start up for about 2-3 weeks to reduce the potential problems with algae. I dose at twice the normal rates even if I am dosing CO2. This would be before I add livestock, but after planting.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

indoballer

Hello,

I might be interested, but
Just wondering if you've contemplated other online sources of Metricide in Canada. I did a little research a while back but never got around to actually ordering. I know Vereburn's shipping is something around $30 which adds quite a bit to the total. Here may be other sources:

Henry Schein:
http://www.henryschein.ca/ca-en/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?productid=6401519&CatalogName=DENTAL&promocode=EZ
Seems like a reputable dealer which i learned from one of the GTA aquarium forum post. It's about $21 a gallon and i found out that shipping was $6, although i think you have to fill out a form to be a customer.

Valuemed:
http://www.valuemed.ca/product-p/metrx1401.htm?CartID=1
Not sure if this is a reliable source, but they sell it for about $17 a gallon(it says 4Liters?) and last i checked i think shipping is $12 or so.

The stated prices are before taxes, but they are better alternatives at least on price.

Stussi613

Quote from: indoballer on January 27, 2014, 11:15:59 PM
Henry Schein:
http://www.henryschein.ca/ca-en/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?productid=6401519&CatalogName=DENTAL&promocode=EZ
Seems like a reputable dealer

This is one of the biggest dental/medical supplies in the world. They have an office on Kanata, but I don't think they sell to the public.
I haz reef tanks.

charlie

This was done before 2 yrs ago, here is the thread, it might be handy to compare.
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=52987.0
Errol

Dxpert

I'll take one. Bettabreeder and I will split it, I'll pick it up.

wolfiewill

I tried both the other sources with problems at both: Henry Schein requires an account, which requires a business connection; The other one is not a secure web site and even Paypal warned against purchasing on an unsecured site. Sooooo, I'm going to order from Vereburn. The cost for each gallon is 23.95, the flat rate for shipping in Ontario is 27.95, and the taxes are 16.09 for 4 gallons: Total cost is 139.84, and therefore 34.96 each. Who's in?????

Dxpert

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Sorry for the delay. Just ordered the metricide. I'll contact all when it arrives. Cheers

wolfiewill

Metricide is in. Come and get it. I'm at Got Fish tomorrow from 2-6 if that's helpful to anyone. The time is approximate so let me know if that's where you want to pick it up. Otherwise call me to pick at the house. $34.96 each. Cheers.

exv152

See you there at GF, and thanks for doing this.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Dxpert