New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anamo shrimp eating my plants...

Started by Lithops, February 02, 2014, 04:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lithops

I had noticed lately some damage on my echinodorus...Been a gardener by prefession I didn't panic and waited to see who was eating my favorite plant. I though at first it's was my snails, but I fanally find who really eat them...My anamo shrimps ! At first I though they  may be just append to be there so I pass a good 5 min at looking very closely to see them eating healthy pièces of my plant. I was so desapointed :( Now I will need to find a new home for those 2 shrimps.

Anyway I was wondering if that appened to somebody else, because I though they where safe shrimps to have in a planted tank.

daworldisblack

hmmm.. amano shrimps shouldn't eat plants unless the plants have parts that are dead.. do you see deficiencies in the plant on other leaves?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Do they have enough algae to feed on? If not, I would try supplementing their diet.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Lithops

I have a friend that said they did eat his plants too, so he started to feed them with wafers. It's was fine for a bit and start again to eat the plants. I was going to give them to my fater but they may eat his fern and bolbitis. I have a side of my tank that I always leave algae and a few leaf that as some too. Apparently it's not the one they like !

Lithops

And the plant they are eating is one of my healthess one :(

exv152

Just some suggestions; I would try different sinking pellets like algae wafers etc. I doubt they will eat the bolbitus or other harder leafed-plants like anubias as they're apparently not as tasty. Also, if you reduce the number of amanos you have that should help too by reducing the competition for food.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

lucius

I have one amano shrimp that acts like a squirrel.  It will take a shrimp pellet and scurry up a plant and munch away on it.

Lithops

My firends was giving them algaes wafers and did work just for a bit. I have 2 anamo shrimps in my 65 gallons with cherry shrimps, endler, marble hatchet, snail, plants and more algaes then I would like to have. Still a lot of competion for food, but thanks god I only have to of them other wise I would have lost my echinodorus !  ???