New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Back at it after a bit of a hiatus.

Started by AdamN, February 09, 2014, 06:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamN

Yep, back at it again, been waiting a while too! My last display was a 75G with a 40G sump, and I had a few nanos and such as well. This time, I am starting back into the hobby a bit differently. Giving the Red Sea Max 130d a shot. So far love it. Only change I have made is added HO blue LEDs for color after the day lights go out, as I cannot run acitnics alone on this tank\. Soon, I will be swapping out the lights for full LED. Ok, for some pics.

Stock PC lighting

HO BLUE LEDS

AdamN

And as the tank is sitting right now, almost full! :D  .. hope to have it full of water sometime tonite.

bandit

AdamN

Stussi613

Quote from: AdamN on February 16, 2014, 05:48:34 PM
And the cycle begins ...

Do yourself a favour and get some Prodibio Startup to speed that cycle up.  You put it in the tank and then you can add half your total bio-load within 24 hours.  I know a few people and one store that started their systems with it and it cuts the cycle time down tremendously.
I haz reef tanks.

AdamN

I just did some readings, that is crazy fast! I am not really in any hurry though, so I think I will just let it do its thing naturally :) .. thanks for the tip though!

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

bandit

Yeah great job on the scape looks great, also if you started with hall live rock it won't cycle.

AdamN

Quote from: bandit on February 21, 2014, 11:40:37 PM
Yeah great job on the scape looks great, also if you started with hall live rock it won't cycle.

hall live rock?

bandit

AdamN

I have cycled with live rock many times, it works just fine  ;D

AdamN

RSM pump upgrade provides quite a bit more flow!

bandit

Yep tyres and true live rock is therapy to go. If you have enough live rock your tank will never cycle just add stuff slow and steady start with hermits  ect.

I really like your rock work looks great.

AdamN

Thanks bandit! .. Added some hermits, snails, and a peppermint the other day. They really cleaned up the diatoms, and there is no more Aiptasia to be seen! .. That little guy took it out on his first night in the tank! \o/

AdamN

Found some things growing on my rock today. Was told the green things are banana algae. Pretty cool, hope it grows more.

Then there is this, looks kinda like brown plants. Still have no ID on these ones.

Feivel

that last picture kinda looks like caulepra. The banana algae i have never seen before. :P

AdamN

hmm, you could be right on that one, it does look like caulepra. Well that would still be a good thing, although its sure to get eaten sooner or later  ;D

beertech

Actually probably dictiota, i may have spelled it wrong though..
Spreads quickly, and can take over the entire tank if let go. I would add an emerald crab and think about a tang in the future to take care of any nuisance algae like that.
Great looking setup btw!

AdamN

Thanks for the reply beertech. I am definately planning on getting an emerald, just waiting until there is enough in the tank for him to eat. I love those things!

AdamN

first new corals in the tank! .. oh and a hitchhiker i am hoping is a stomatella and not some toxic slug!

Got Fish?

It's a snail so no need to worry lol.

AdamN

lol phew!  :)  ..  there is also these really tiny, too small to get a pic of, bluish, with glowing white sides things scooting all around this rock. I only counted 2 for sure, they move really smooth and quick. Wish I could get a pic!

AdamN

Here are a couple more pics, mushrooms are looking much better today:

and the first fish to hit the waters ...

[/QUOTE]

AdamN

Finally got enough growth on that brown stuff from the first page to get a positive ID. Padina gymnospora

and a few more shots taken today of random things ...

Leather:

Mushrooms:

GSP:

az

u should super glue those 2 polyp looking thing on red mushroom rock, they are pests.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

AdamN

Thanks az .. I just might do that, they are not pretty anyways lol

AdamN

dbl_dbl

Wow, that looks like a big colony, nice.

Can we get a full tank shot? :-*

AdamN

AdamN

Some more shots of my tank as of today. A bit over 1 month old now.

FTS as of today:

AdamN

minor skimmer mod .. for anyone with this skimmer and wants to shut it up  ;D

ajm1961

Things are progressing quite nicely! Love the clowns.
Thanks for sharing.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

AdamN

Thanks ajm!

A few shots of my tank as of today ...

AdamN

Thanks! ... they finally came out of hiding tonite after gramma went psycho on them .. he seems to be calming down lol

AdamN

AdamN

FTS taken today, tanks is now approx 2 months old.

AdamN

some shots after todays w/c.

Tank is going on 3 months now. Current live stock:

5 Astrea
2 Turbos
10 Nassarius
20 blue let hermit crabs
1 peppermint shrimp
1 bristle worm
Unknown amount of micro brittle stars
1 unknown crab (hitch hiker ID'd as a deco)

2 B&W clowns
1 royal gramma
1 lawnmower blenny
1 pearly jawfish
2 purple firefish

Coral:
leather
GSP
Mushrooms
frogspawn
Xenia
Florida Ricordea
Ultra Zoas

AdamN

Just a few more pics from this week ....

AdamN