New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

External Filter Leak!

Started by Aud, March 02, 2014, 07:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aud

hey guys, just did the ol regular maintenance to my Fluval 205 series and once I hooked everything back up; the Filter started having slow leaks. The leaks are on the side where the clips to close the lid are situated.

I made a quick search on google and it seems like it is the O-ring that could be damaged or that theyre simply missing a bit of Grease.

I will go buy sillicone Lube at homedepot later, but

I was wondering;

1. Has this happen to anyone?

and

2. is there any LPS that sell the Fluval O-ring parts

Thanks in advance for the response guys, its very appreciated to be a part of the community.

sas

Have you tried taking it apart again? Sometimes the ring isn't quite seated
properly and you'll get a leak.
Also I've used a tiny bit of Vaseline when I had a leak once and stores were
all closed, just to tide me over til I could get to a store.

Aud

Quote from: sas on March 02, 2014, 07:30:36 AM
Have you tried taking it apart again? Sometimes the ring isn't quite seated
properly and you'll get a leak.
Also I've used a tiny bit of Vaseline when I had a leak once and stores were
all closed, just to tide me over til I could get to a store.

i'll try to take it apart again and see if this works, my next step is to stop at homedepot for sillicone lube. hopefully one ot those option will work.

i'll keep you posted!

charlie

If all else fails try big also la Niche has the biggest stock on fluval parts in this corner of the world.

lucius

Big Al's sells Fluval canister parts but they don't have them in stock except for the ribbed hosing.  It would be a special order.

http://www.bigalspets.ca/motor-head-seal-ring-for-104-204-105-205.html

Home Depot has this Moen silicon lubricant in their plumbing section that does the trick.

http://www.moen.ca/m-line/silicone-lubricant/_/R-CA-CONSUMER%3AM6144

Al

If you have trouble finding silicone lube I would be glad to help out - I have some good Pentair silicone but you should be OK at one of the plumb shops. I run multiple tanks and my policy is to always have pretty much a complete spare backup of gaskets and an impeller for my filters.
To keep it simple and less costly to do so, I usually run only 2 models of filters so I can have the parts handy for any tank. In addition, I usually run multiple filters on each tank not only for this type of "bad luck" but to make major filter cleaning less of a "potential" issue on a high bioload tank when I have another fully functioning filter on the tank as back-up.
Good luck and hope you are able to get back in order ASAP.

Surfdog

On your question has this happened to anyone else, you bet! It's a Fluval. I switched to Eheim's a long time ago on canisters. I found even a SunSun from eBay comparable to a Fluval at 1/3 the price. Now, I'm not trying to start an argument. Many like Fluvals, they're used to them and the minor annoyances. That said, ask a retailer what is the better unit while not shopping for one, I've always been told Eheim by knowledgeable shop owners all over North America.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aud

Thanks guys for the helpful help!!

I bought silicone lube and it seems like it worked out, now the challenge is to clean this thing up in a few weeks. Hopefully I don't have the same problem.

angelcraze

Maybe you can order an o-ring in the meantime form Ebay, just to have on hand, you already know things got chippy already with this.  Glad to hear you seemed to have figured things out for now!!   
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

s7even

ya...
if it is one of the blue square ones...they are reputed to leak...
I am glad the silicon grease worked...
if you have further problems...do not replace housing etc...(maybe O ring but that's it)
buy new filter :)
big al's knows the issues...as do many other former fluval owners...
it is too bad...they used to be ok (poor mans ehiem)...and the parts  used to be compatible with ehiem 12 and 16 mm hosing...
:(
i have personally run my 205 in a bucket until it was replaced...
hopefully the 206 is better