New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

calamus or algea?

Started by soleil1980, March 14, 2014, 05:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soleil1980

Hello everyone!

Enclosed are pics for you to see.  I have a 60g full of black Moscow guppies, 4 bushynose pleco and 2 flying fox.

The guppies and plecos have been in there for 2 yrs.  Recently, as in last week, I added the 2 foxes.  I had a huge algea problem (as you can see in the first pic) and at Big Al's they recommended the foxes and Marc-Andre, at la Niche, suggested I blast the algea with flourish excel.  He said it would turn red and die within a week... and that is exactly what is happening.

However, tonight, when I came home, I notice 2 guppies with red stringy stuff.  One from his mouth (see other picture) and the other from his bum.  Everyone seems happy and energetic, nobody else has red stingy stuff sticking out from one hole or the other.  The one with the strings coming from his mouth ate quite well but it seems to be bothering his swimming (debalancing him a little).

So, is it calamus or did they try to eat the red dying algea???  I never saw calamus before in real life so I am not sure.
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)

Shawn84

If worm are hanging out of the fish butt then it is cammallus worm. A pain to have. The best treatment for it is levamisole hcl. Send me a pm if you need some
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........