New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Honouring our club's past

Started by ajm1961, March 16, 2014, 12:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm1961

Did a little research last night to get more information on our club's formation and past, in light of our 60th anniversary.

All of the following were published in the Ottawa Journal.

1. Formation of the club (published on April 6, 1954). Note that they mistakenly named Edgar Parisien as "Edward"...:

2. Junior Branch to be added (Jan. 28, 1955):

3. First Annual Meeting - in the picture is the first-ever club President, Otto Flegel, owner of the Aladdin Pet Shop, along with Edgar Parisien who succeeded him in the second season of the club.

4. A full page was dedicated to the fish keeping hobby and showcased several members of OVAS. Here is a picture of Edgar Parisien and his wife Freda (nee Woito) at home with their tanks. They owned 29 tanks! Yes, MTS was alive and well in 1955!

5. In this note to the editors, Harvey Wittenberg, OVAS Secretary, thanks the Ottawa Journal for publishing the above mentioned full page article on the hobby. Harvey was a key figure in the early days of the club. An annual club award was even names in his honor. Harvey also became chairman of the International federation of Aquarium Societies in 1960.

6. Here, the club donates an aquarium to the "Protestant Home for the Aged" in 1955.

7. And finally, here is a picture of the winner of the club's draw in January 1956. Proceeds from the draw was used to fund the donated hospital tanks. Both Edgar and Harvey are pictured.

I'll post more history in the coming days and weeks - we have a rich heritage!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

bitterman

Awesome!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to find this information and put together in a post!!!

Bruce

ajm1961

Just to let everyone know: I managed to contact a member of Edgar Parisien's family. We may have one or more surprise guests for the cake cutting ceremony on April 5th at 12:30!

It will be fantastic to hear from someone who knew this great hobbyist - one of our club founders!

:) :) :)

Philnashbass

Great to be able to read up on the beginnings. Interesting to note that they had 29 tanks at one time!
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

Stussi613

I was talking to Hookup and he mentioned meeting Otto' son at Got Fish? I'll ask David to check his records and see if he has him in his customer database...
I haz reef tanks.

ajm1961

Great stuff! Otto was the first Prez. He and his wife Mable kept the Aladdin Pet Shop for many years.
I put out a call on Facebook as well for anyone who may know David or one of Otto's relatives.

Another person who was instrumental was Harvey Wittenberg - and Don Parisien told me he is still with us at 93 years! Ken, Edgar's son, who owned the Piano shop played in Harvey's orchestra in the 50s!

Mark

Thanks for posting the newspaper clips.

I had worked for the Flegels at Aladdin pet shop when I was a teen so it was a treat seeing a picture of Otto, brought back lots of memories:)
Well and truly hooked.

charlie

Andre , thanks for sharing, it does indeed have a rich heritage.
Jamie Baquero has some  information of the club`s past, he would be worthwhile contacting
eg: the efforts of the club advocating a public aquarium in Ottawa.
Errol

exv152

Thanks for posting André. It's incredible to see how far back this club goes in our community, and nice to see it's still around today.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sas

This is great thanks Andre for taking the time and effort to do this.
So interesting to see that times haven't changed and MTS lives on ;D

zenins

Those are awesome historical notes :)

By the way, the Kitchener-Waterloo Aquarium Society was started in 1960 by a local couple who  also  had MTS  ;D

Starting when I was 12 years old, I bought fish and plants out of their basement for many years.

This is a great hobby
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

stoneswords3

Hi everyone, I am Otto Flegel's Great Grand nephew.

fishy friend

Thank you very much for sharing what you have found. Can't wait to read more :)

bitterman

Quote from: stoneswords3 on April 01, 2015, 10:12:10 PM
Hi everyone, I am Otto Flegel's Great Grand nephew.

That awesome if you are... I would suggest e-mail the club president.. I am however sceptical ;) as you posted on April 1st. For real or a Joke?

Bruce

stoneswords3

No, not a joke. My great grandmother was Lavina Blundell (new Flegel) Otto's sister.

bitterman

Thats great! Welcome to OVAS!

Bruce

stoneswords3

ajm1961

Really cool that a relative of one of our club founders is on the forum!
If you have any stories about Otto and Mabel and their famed Aladdin Pet Shop, please share.
Welcome! :)

sas

Wow great stuff. Welcome to OVAS. :)
Would also like to hear any stories you would
have to share.

charlie

charlie

bitterman

I agree be perfect for a sticky!

smalltownfan

Quote from: ajm1961 on April 05, 2015, 10:48:44 PM
Really cool that a relative of one of our club founders is on the forum!
If you have any stories about Otto and Mabel and their famed Aladdin Pet Shop, please share.
Welcome! :)

I bought my first new aquarium, a 29g with chrome trim and hood, from Mr. Flegal in 1968. I'm looking for pics I took of it. It would be a showpiece now.
I got into trouble more than once for not going straight home from school. We lived 2 blocks away from the store and I spent hours there.
When he recommended I change my corner filter to something newer and tidier looking, I saved my paper route money to buy an air powered HOB filter. I felt like a big time aquarium guy.
I remember when Aladdins expanded into the store next door. Seeing all of those shiny tanks and stands and new equipment on display made us kids drool with excitement. Planning and drawing how we would do different setups.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

charlie

I enjoyed your sharing the fond memories.
Thanks for sharing

smalltownfan

I found this on the Facebook group Lost Ottawa
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

lucius

Found this on the Wayback Machine website.  Here's what the site looked like in March 2002.  :-[ :-X

https://web.archive.org/web/20020310081305/http://www.serpae.com/ovas/