New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Red LED Light and its Effect on LPS Corals

Started by albertthiel, March 24, 2014, 04:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon1985

thats kind of surprising.  I was always under the impression that red light was filtered out of water so quickly that t wouldnt be able to affect the corals, let alone affect them negatively.   Makes you wonder about all the commercially available LED fixtures with red LEDs on them.

Stussi613

Quote from: jon1985 on March 26, 2014, 11:05:47 PM
thats kind of surprising.  I was always under the impression that red light was filtered out of water so quickly that t wouldnt be able to affect the corals, let alone affect them negatively.   Makes you wonder about all the commercially available LED fixtures with red LEDs on them.

I think the red is more to show certain colours than for growth on most of the more commercialy popular fixtures (GHL, AI and Radion).  The ratio of red to other colors is pretty low and most programs that use them generally have very little added unless it's sunrise/sunset from what I've seen. 
I haz reef tanks.

albertthiel

Quote from: Stussi613 on March 27, 2014, 01:47:02 AM
I think the red is more to show certain colours than for growth on most of the more commercialy popular fixtures (GHL, AI and Radion).  The ratio of red to other colors is pretty low and most programs that use them generally have very little added unless it's sunrise/sunset from what I've seen. 

Indeed in the commercial high end fixture red is usually a minimum of the color LED's included .. I think the author just wanted to point out that too much red is not beneficial and can cause damage to the corals.

Thanks for your observations ..

See you soon  ( a few days now )

Albert