New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CAD Lights 28 gallon build

Started by Littorina, April 07, 2014, 01:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit

Looks great, nice scape. It's a little bit early for the elegance maybe, corals like clams, elegance, goniapora ect.. should not be added unless your tank has been up and running for 1yr with live rock, but yours looks healthy so keep us posted ;)

Greatwhite

Yeah, keep a close eye on your parameters at the start here. Smaller tanks can crash very quickly, especially at the start...

az

Quote from: bandit on April 30, 2014, 08:23:50 PM
Looks great, nice scape. It's a little bit early for the elegance maybe, corals like clams, elegance, goniapora ect.. should not be added unless your tank has been up and running for 1yr with live rock, but yours looks healthy so keep us posted ;)

i was thinking the same little early for an elegance. 
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Greatwhite

Quote from: az on May 01, 2014, 09:08:15 AM

i was thinking the same little early for an elegance. 

I was told there was some "arm twisting" from a few people who I believe should know better than to add livestock/corals so early.  We can't really hold Vanessa responsible for this one if things go awry...  Hopefully all will be well, and it sounds like she's going to be taking things "slower" now anyway.

I know all about the excitement of starting a new tank, and *I* was the one wanting to rush out and get more fish.  I remember on day 7 or so of my first tank, rolling into Marinescape with a pocket full of cash, burning a hole...  And I intended to get some clowns, a tang, some anthias, and a bunch of coral.  The first question was "how old is the tank?" quickly followed by "oh, here's 2 hermit crabs and a snail.  Keep them alive for 2 weeks, and then we'll talk about the rest."  I was pretty upset that I couldn't add fish yet, but they were certainly looking out for my best interests. :)

az

Quote from: Greatwhite on May 01, 2014, 09:46:24 AM
I was told there was some "arm twisting" from a few people who I believe should know better than to add livestock/corals so early.  We can't really hold Vanessa responsible for this one if things go awry...  Hopefully all will be well, and it sounds like she's going to be taking things "slower" now anyway.

I know all about the excitement of starting a new tank, and *I* was the one wanting to rush out and get more fish.  I remember on day 7 or so of my first tank, rolling into Marinescape with a pocket full of cash, burning a hole...  And I intended to get some clowns, a tang, some anthias, and a bunch of coral.  The first question was "how old is the tank?" quickly followed by "oh, here's 2 hermit crabs and a snail.  Keep them alive for 2 weeks, and then we'll talk about the rest."  I was pretty upset that I couldn't add fish yet, but they were certainly looking out for my best interests. :)

so you are leaving the hobby? who else would update us on things and give us tips on 'house buy' 'move' 'weddings'  come on don't leave.....even though I do know you miss fishtails a lot since they closed.
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

Greatwhite

Quote from: az on May 01, 2014, 09:57:17 AM

so you are leaving the hobby? who else would update us on things and give us tips on 'house buy' 'move' 'weddings'  come on don't leave.....even though I do know you miss fishtails a lot since they closed.

Everything's sold & gone... My office is cold, dry, and dull now.  I'm hanging around to live vicariously through this build. ;)  It is actually inspiring me to start a smaller tank up to load it up with nice colorful corals rather than run a big tank that I can't afford to fill. :)

Stussi613

Quote from: Greatwhite on May 01, 2014, 09:46:24 AM
I was told there was some "arm twisting" from a few people who I believe should know better than to add livestock/corals so early.  We can't really hold Vanessa responsible for this one if things go awry... 

She seeded her rock with juicy live rock and she's been testing parameters every day, which is 10x more often than allot of "experienced" reefers do.  She wasn't arm twisted into buying anything, she asked about adding some corals and was told what she could start with...and when she asked about the elegance she was told with caution.   It's now 2x the size it was in the store and she's keeping a watchful eye on it, with the understanding that she can return it if it looks like it's starting to retract and go downhill.

I can't wait until the day I have enough experience to judge others decisions based on what I heard second hand from someone else...
I haz reef tanks.

az

Quote from: Stussi613 on May 01, 2014, 11:23:49 AM
She seeded her rock with juicy live rock and she's been testing parameters every day, which is 10x more often than allot of "experienced" reefers do.  She wasn't arm twisted into buying anything, she asked about adding some corals and was told what she could start with...and when she asked about the elegance she was told with caution.   It's now 2x the size it was in the store and she's keeping a watchful eye on it, with the understanding that she can return it if it looks like it's starting to retract and go downhill.

I can't wait until the day I have enough experience to judge others decisions based on what I heard second hand from someone else...

if she used live sand she could be ok, I find its sand that takes the longest to be ready.
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

Greatwhite

Quote from: Stussi613 on May 01, 2014, 11:23:49 AM

Nothing was second hand... Still new with the tags. ;)  (and I didn't name names intentionally)  Really, I am just pointing out that she's not "rushing into buying things" on her own and is proceeding with the advice of some people with experience.

It's not the parameters and "liveliness" of rock that is the concern when I've started tanks in the past.  I've started fresh, with a bag of aragonite and fresh live rock, then an upgrade from 55 to 90G, and then restarting a tank after a move.  All 3 times, about 2 weeks in - HUGE cyano outbreaks that were fatal to some corals I had in the upgrade and the move.  The first time, obviously - nothing was in there to kill (thanks to Marinescape's advice)

My advice to people starting new tanks is to run it until after the algae/cyano outbreak that most of us see is under control before adding coral. Mushrooms and polyps are "easy/beginner" corals, and are generally hardy.  Elegance needs a little more care and stability...

Littorina

You guys are much kinder than another group I'm a member of!  Yes, I am getting nervous about the elegance now.  I knew it was a little more care than mushrooms and other softies, but I didn't realize it was THAT delicate when I bought it.  Newbie mistake for sure.......it's doing fantastic so far, and it has MORE than doubled in size this week, but I am going to see about the trace elements it needs, and look into feedings for it.....my mushrooms are huge and happy so far as well, as is my tiny little zooanthid......

But I am still so nervous about tank crashing, and as Stuart says, I am testing water parameters EVERY day, and did my first water change this past weekend.  So far, my ammonia has been almost undetectable (0-0.25ppm), and nitrite is very low also (0.05-0.1) and nitrates are hovering around 5ppm.  And that's with 2 little clowns in there, and 3 snails......

I am currently trying to wrestle with my new skimmer (a Tunze 9002) to get the damn thing to fit into my attached sump, and I am also hoping to get some chaeto soon and put that in my sump also.......let's hope I'm doing something right?

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate them; the advice, as well as the cautions....

Littorina

I just want to defend my "advice mentors".....made me sick to my stomach to have them chided here in this thread.  They have been absolutely WONDERFUL to me in providing advice, and actually bent over backwards to help get me started in the hobby.  I am forever grateful to them!  I am an overly cautious person, and they have been great to give me the gentle nudging and encouragement to get started.  They weren't forcing livestock on me.  As Stuart said, I asked when I might begin to add corals, they said I could start slowly, and suggested or gave advice as to what I could try, and we chose specimens together........I am happy with what's in my tank now, and other than a few more clean up crew critters, I am not stocking anything else for a while until I am confident my tank will remain stable.

Thanks again guys.

robt18

Everyone has different opinions, especially when it comes to saltwater. You'll get lots of differing opinions and lots of people saying certain things have worked while them while other will say they didn't. When you put an elegance coral in your tank so early, someone who did the same thing and lost theirs a couple of weeks later is going to jump and warn you. Will yours die? We will see, but it sounds like it's happy for now. Pretty much everyone has had a negative experience in every situation; telling the horror stories is part of the healing process and that's why you end up hearing them all :P

charlie

Quote from: robt18 on May 02, 2014, 09:07:47 AM
Everyone has different opinions, especially when it comes to saltwater. You'll get lots of differing opinions and lots of people saying certain things have worked while them while other will say they didn't. When you put an elegance coral in your tank so early, someone who did the same thing and lost theirs a couple of weeks later is going to jump and warn you. Will yours die? We will see, but it sounds like it's happy for now. Pretty much everyone has had a negative experience in every situation; telling the horror stories is part of the healing process and that's why you end up hearing them all :P
;D ;D ;D

Littorina

I don't mind "horror stories" and warnings, in fact, I encourage them!  I'd rather know ahead of time what to expect and be prepared, then have some unwelcomed surprises!  :-)   

I just feel horrible that some new friends got dragged into a blame fest,, when all they were trying to do was help me.  :-( 

bandit

Just keep an eye on it, let us know how it does. If it apears it's slipping I would trade for easier corals  ;).

Have your stated dosing? Once you start adding corals you should think about replacing your trace elements. A very good easy start to dosing would be to add biocal maybe equivalent  to one scoop a week so 1/3 or so every other day.

You need to if you haven't started yet test for calcium mag and alk on a weekly routine, and monitor your params to make sure they are not fluctuating.

IMO if you feel the need to still test for nitrite and ammonia, I wouldn't be adding any corals

Littorina

Thanks bandit!

No dosing yet, or weekly testing for Ca, Mg, etc.....just weekly water changes. I was told by a few that the salt I am using (Fritz?) is reallly good, so hopefully for now the trace elements are okay? 

I had heard about Biocal, and I'd like to use it! :-)   

I'm still testing for nitrite and ammonia because of all the warnings of early "tank crashing", and I'm paranoid!  ;-)      IF anything spikes, I'd know immediately and be able to do a huge water change.....Me being overly cautious and proactive....