New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Porcelain crab

Started by Littorina, April 12, 2014, 08:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Littorina

Good morning Mr. Thiel!

I know you have a strong opinion with regard to crabs and reef tanks, but I recently came across the porcelain crab, and many claim it is reef safe.  I have always adored crabs, and this one is a beautiful little crab, and quite the filter feeder! 

Due to the unpredictable nature of crabs in reef tanks, and your warnings, I was going to avoid having any in my new tank once it cycles, but wondered if this one might be a rare exception?  Your thoughts......?

albertthiel

Quote from: Littorina on April 12, 2014, 08:56:07 AM
Good morning Mr. Thiel!

I know you have a strong opinion with regard to crabs and reef tanks, but I recently came across the porcelain crab, and many claim it is reef safe.  I have always adored crabs, and this one is a beautiful little crab, and quite the filter feeder! 

Due to the unpredictable nature of crabs in reef tanks, and your warnings, I was going to avoid having any in my new tank once it cycles, but wondered if this one might be a rare exception?  Your thoughts......?

Porcelain crabs are fine and are some of the only crabs that can reasonably be considered reef safe. They will host anemones including Flower ones and Mini Max ones.

Flower anemone

Littorina

Really???  That is wonderful news!  I have always found crabs fascinating to watch (much more interesting than hermit crabs).  I am so happy I will be able to put a crab in my tank!  :)

That flower anemone is beautiful! 

albertthiel

Quote from: Littorina on April 12, 2014, 07:05:21 PM
Really???  That is wonderful news!  I have always found crabs fascinating to watch (much more interesting than hermit crabs).  I am so happy I will be able to put a crab in my tank!  :)

That flower anemone is beautiful! 
Any commensal crab e.g. Porcelain Crab will be just fine ...
Some branched corals have commensal crabs as well referred to a Gall crabs and on larger colonies of the corals they do not really create any problems. You usually get them when you buy the coral (e.g. Acropora species).