New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ultimate cichlid set ups!!

Started by Graham, April 24, 2014, 10:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Hey guys I just wanted to know what types of set ups you all have as far as cichlids are concerned. I have have a 72 gallon show tank with my largest male malawi peacocks and haps. There seems to be minor aggression issues, but i've found that since i've unplugged the light that the aggression has since diminished. I also have a 70 gallon which is currently growing out the smaller juvies until they are ready to sell and a 20 gallon which holds even smaller juvies and lastly, a 10 gallon that holds some of my peacock fry that need to bulk up. My question is, what set ups does everyone else have? I'm thinking of purchasing a 4ft to 5ft long tank and sectioning it off and making breeding tanks to raise ad grow different species of fish. Let me know!

fischkopp

I have a pretty big tank with Geophagus.
I am setting up a couple of tanks for different Nanochromis.
And there is little tank with Apistogramma as well.

Oh, and breeding is fun! ;)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

adam_ottawa

I have the standard yellow lab and demasoni tank in a 40 litre tall (36" wide).  I just had a major catastrophe with my filter and lost a bunch of my original fish but right now, I have 3 juvenile yellow labs, 2 adult demasoni and 4 juvenile demasoni.  The juveniles are still too young to sex, so I don't know if I'll be seeing any babies.

I have a lot of Texas holeyrock, so there's tons of places for the fish to hide when the aggression does escalate.

I've been running this set up for years and I haven't encountered any major problems due to the smaller footprint of the tank.

Mike L

when I used to keep Malawian in my 4ft and 6ft I found it helped to divide the tank using vertical slab wedged between heavier base rock. This way the fish don't see each other as easily and can lord over there own territories. I've gone to Tanganyikan because I find them far less aggressive and very interesting as there evolution is about 10x that of Malawian. We should get together a cichlid group and chat. The salty's and plantaholics are taking over. Can't have that.LOL
Regards Mike

charlie

Quote from: Mike L on April 24, 2014, 04:43:43 PM
when I used to keep Malawian in my 4ft and 6ft I found it helped to divide the tank using vertical slab wedged between heavier base rock. This way the fish don't see each other as easily and can lord over there own territories. I've gone to Tanganyikan because I find them far less aggressive and very interesting as there evolution is about 10x that of Malawian. We should get together a cichlid group and chat. The salty's and plantaholics are taking over. Can't have that.LOL
Regards Mike
I like your way of thinking  ;),at one time the African cichlids ruled the waters of OVAS, time to get the keepers awake & excited again.

limmer

I just restocked up my 100 gal last month. (6 foot tank).
I added lots of rocks.
I put in 5 or 6 different peacocks about 5" and an Ahli about the same size.
I have 3 large acei, and 4 medium size yellow top labidochromis.
I threw in over a dozen yellow labs about 1.5".
I also threw in about a dozen OB peacocks about 1.5"
1 male eureka about 1.5" and 1 dickfeldi which was being picked on in another tank.

I have not lost any yet and I think it looks good.
Nobody has been eaten yet.
I do have a dominate male peacock that chases the other large peacocks around.

fish finatic

i have a 135 gallon tank(6 foot). in there i have ob peacocks,snow whites, yellow labs,kenyis,2 venustus, bumblebees,german reds, super red zebras, a frontosa and 2 sailfin plecos.

dark_rain

I have a 4 foot 90 gallon tank started with 1 each of the following;
Jewel
Yellow Lab
Livingstoni
Red Top Hongi
Ice Blue Zebra
Sunshine Peacock
Red Empress
Zebra Hap
OB Peacock
90 Gallon low-tech planted tank (Anubias, Java Ferns, Crypts)

55 Gallon planted starting from scratch w/ Eco-Complete