New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Any & everything CO2 regulator DIY build.

Started by charlie, May 07, 2014, 12:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

At the request of a member, i`m starting this  thread.
The object is to keep all relevant info on building your own CO 2 regulators - from single stage to 2 stage regulators.
So if you have any thing to share or a question please do post it here. Pictures of your project is welcomed too.
As a lead off  here is a link to a thread that shows how to wire a Burkert solenoid - compliments of Mattf & the Barreport.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7783-How-to-wire-a-Burkert-type-6011-solenoid
Regards

charlie

charlie

DIY full stainless steel CO2 rig.
It started with parts accumulated a while  ago, Burkert stainless solenoid (2 yrs? thanks Rah), Parker Stainless metering valve (2012 E Bay), then a few months ago I snagged a Matheson Stainless 2 stage used ( body only) from a Canadian e bayer in Welland Ontario for 40.00 +20.00 shipping, recently  2 Wika stainless pressure gauge (new) from Amazon .com for 15.00 & 12.00 respectively, Stainless check valve 12.95  E-bay & Swagelok stainless NPT fittings local Swagelok, Stainless CGA 320 nipple & nut(New) - 27.00 Zorotools.com
If I had to buy the Amazon & e Bay parts new from the retail stores, I would not have entertain this project, guys in the US are building these type of units & selling them easily for approx. 400.00.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/15352-Matheson-3810-Stainless-Steel-Dual-Stage-CO2-Regulator
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=612082&highlight=matheson.
All in all  is this necessary =NO, it`s a toy just like Starfire tanks.

Final build.

daworldisblack

Seriously nice build! Good things come eventually at great prices - a lil patience goes a long way. Usually you struggle with the patience part Errol but am proud of you! :p This paid off in the end - definitely an nice toy for sure! Only draw back of waiting to slowly put a build together is to not know if a part is working or not ( used/new) but if there is a way to test that with whatever you have in the meanwhile, waiting for the primo component parts is definitely worth it. This is one slick build Errol! Awesome job! Now its just missing a beer dispenser  ;D
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Looks awesome Errol. There's some kind of personal satisfaction I get out of building my own dual stage regulator too, it's hard to explain.  I call it the hobby within a hobby.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on May 20, 2014, 09:43:07 AM
Seriously nice build! Good things come eventually at great prices - a lil patience goes a long way. Usually you struggle with the patience part Errol but am proud of you! :p This paid off in the end - definitely an nice toy for sure! Only draw back of waiting to slowly put a build together is to not know if a part is working or not ( used/new) but if there is a way to test that with whatever you have in the meanwhile, waiting for the primo component parts is definitely worth it. This is one slick build Errol! Awesome job! Now its just missing a beer dispenser  ;D
So so true  :D, it makes me happier that I was able to piece it together @ a fraction of what they retail for, as you and Eric can attest those Parker metering valve are way up there in performance & quality, retail value of a hundred bucks & then some possibly 200 +, we were able to snag them new for I think 35.00?, the Burkert  valve retail is approx. 90.00 , got it from you for25.00 or so, some of us were able to get some brand new  recently @ 43.00 shipped, the Matheson itself is probably close to approx. 700.00 range new got it for 60.00 (40+shipping) used, the gauges are around 55-70.00 each depending on where you shop, knowing hobbyist are paying other hobbyist 400 & at times more to build one is all the more empowering.
But as mentioned, does it make plants grow better? to a certain degree but not that much more than a Milwaukee & 90.00 will, is t an absolute necessity again NO .
Errol

fischkopp

That's some pretty shiny CO2 gear! I like the aqua-blue knob.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Here is a link with some interesting" How To", if putting together your own gear appeals to you, will find them very useful.
Compliments of "the planted tank" oldpunk & Darkblade48.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184817