New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Added Plant to shrimp tank, mass death within an hour.

Started by Droc, May 26, 2014, 01:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droc

I have been running a fluval edge tank with +20 RCS for a few weeks now.  All has been well

today I bought a plant and within an hour of adding it(rinsed it several times), my shrimp have been all killed.  I tried doing a water change but it was too late.  

Plant is on the left.

I suspect the supplier treats with pesticides....

lucius

exv152

This topic has comes up several times in this forum and others. Interesting article worth reading.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4831
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Droc

Please note that the moderators have edited out vital information from my post. 

The retailer I purchased the plant from treats them with heavy metal pesticides in the display tanks, but the retailer is a forum sponsor so I am not allowed to inform you of that.  I would not like to see anyone else have total tank loss and incur the personal financial loss.  I understand how the users loss is not important compared website sponsorship. 

If anyone has a similar issue or would like to avoid a similar issue, please PM me and I will happily let you know the name and location of the retailer/sponsor.

charlie

Quote from: Droc on June 13, 2014, 08:41:23 AM
Please note that the moderators have edited out vital information from my post. 

The retailer I purchased the plant from treats them with heavy metal pesticides in the display tanks, but the retailer is a forum sponsor so I am not allowed to inform you of that.  I would not like to see anyone else have total tank loss and incur the personal financial loss.  I understand how the users loss is not important compared website sponsorship. 

If anyone has a similar issue or would like to avoid a similar issue, please PM me and I will happily let you know the name and location of the retailer/sponsor.
I think if you had taken the time to read the rules of the forum, you would have known the forum does not allow any store bashing regardless if they are a sponsor or not, you would have also known the interpretation of the moderators is final.
Regards

charlie

I can tell you , I have over the years( lots of years) bought several plants ,fish from all the local sponsors & never once had any issues of wide spread die off from either.
Regards

Mothali

I work for a government agency which legislates the use of pesticides and protocols after usage. Let me see what I can find out. Pesticide warnings must be placed where pesticides have been used. The end. My posts were also deleted for telling the truth and my experiences. Feel free to boot me from the site. This will only confirm that I am correct. I would be very proud to have a sponsor who has blatant disregard for safety and the law.

robt18

You would also have to prove that they used pesticides..... Which I'm fairly certain they don't. Maybe you have more info than I, but in my experience that's never been the case.

exv152

It's not the sponsors but the plant suppliers that use pesticides usually from asia (see the link I provided earlier). If you purchase plants from a european or north american supplier like Tropica you won't have the same issue. But I encourage you to approach the sponsor directly rather than engage in libel (written unsubstantiated defamation) before having all the facts. This way you actually get something positive done without breaking the law.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: robt18 on June 13, 2014, 09:18:02 AM
You would also have to prove that they used pesticides..... Which I'm fairly certain they don't. Maybe you have more info than I, but in my experience that's never been the case.
Folks love to make accusations based on their assumption & not facts.
I urge you to let us know your findings & proof.
As a hobbyist try learning the proper husbandry introducing anything into your tank & most of all always read any forum rules before posting.
Regards

Stussi613

I just looked at the posts that were deleted and it's one thing to try to warn people about something, and quite another to attack the staff of the store in question.  I would recommend that you follow the trail you are on in regards to pesticide use and if you can prove they are doing it then you can effect some change.  In the meantime, please desist from making unproven accusations and verbally attacking the staff of ANY retailer in Ottawa as OVAS is a non-profit and we don't have the means to defend ourselves against slander/libel.  The pittance we collect in sponsorship money isn't enough to hire a lawyer for very long.
I haz reef tanks.

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on May 26, 2014, 10:00:06 AM
This topic has comes up several times in this forum and others. Interesting article worth reading.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4831

Did you folks even take the time to read the article supplied by exv152?
If you did & still make those ridiculous claims is mind boggling.
This is something that really rubs me the wrong way.
Regards

wrm130

Please note.  I am neither defending the unnamed store nor the mods.

Your assumption DOES at first blush seem to fit the bill perfectly.

I know a few people who work there and they don't add anything poisonous to their show tanks.  Anything they'd add that could kill shrimp would take out the nerites they keep in there. 

You mentioned you first rinsed the plants, do you have old copper pipes?  Try testing your tapwater.  Maybe there's something in there that (unless treated with prime or something to neutralize it) could take them out?  I don't personally think rinsing them then adding them to a tank would transfer enough copper but I've never been in this situation.  It's something to look into.

Also, when you planted your plants, did you stir up the bottom significantly? re-arrange things?  You could've potentially and inadvertently caused a spike...

Things to consider:)
Again, not defending anyone, just offering other ideas to consider.