New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Oct 4th Picture update - Now that I have my 75g

Started by guck, June 21, 2014, 09:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guck

Picture update.  The Naja Grass on the left...  spreading. 

guck

Quote from: wrm130 on August 06, 2014, 12:57:23 AM
Congrats on the wonderful looking tank!

With enough space an Amazon sword will take up half your tank! Be neat to see how big you could get it to grow!

Stopped by CJ today and there were two Amazon swords there.  I could not resist but get one.  I stripped most of the guppy weed and planted the sword.  It's rather small for now.  About 2-3 inches. 
I also grabbed some valisnerias.  And while I was at it, I got some trumpet snails to look after the underground lol.

wrm130

That's awesome!

You should post a pic of the sword to track it's growth!

Also, keep a close eye and stay on top of your vals. They spread like the plague, and generally not where you want them to lol

guck

Yes, Jason warned me about the spreading.  If it's like my sagittaria subulatas, that should be interesting.  I will take a picture later tonight when there is no window reflexion.  I had enough vals to try some in the 25g that has somewhat low light.  I am not happy with that tank.

guck

Here is the shy Amazon sword hding in it's new home. 

I removed most of the guppy grass. 

charlie

In my opinion, that amazon is in a bad location, as mentioned they are tank busters and will occupy 1/2 to 2/3 of your tank, coupled with the fact that they develop huge root systems that will surprise you both in it`s ability to shoot across the tank under the substrate & it`s root size, this can potentially inhibit your other plants in time.
If you really want to keep it, place it at the back of the tank.
I use to keep one in a 33 gallon & another Echinodorus Barthii in a 75 gallon, in my early days, so speaking from personal experience.
BTW they don't spread like dwarf Sag. as in producing plantlets via runners.
Just my 2 cents.

guck

Quote from: charlie on August 30, 2014, 10:11:27 AM
In my opinion, that amazon is in a bad location, as mentioned they are tank busters and will occupy 1/2 to 2/3 of your tank, coupled with the fact that they develop huge root systems that will surprise you both in it`s ability to shoot across the tank under the substrate & it`s root size, this can potentially inhibit your other plants in time.
If you really want to keep it, place it at the back of the tank.
Do you mean that it shoul be pretty much against the rear glass.  It's about a mid point at the moment.  I can move it back further.

Quote from: charlie on August 30, 2014, 10:11:27 AM
BTW they don't spread like dwarf Sag. as in producing plantlets via runners..
I have a feeling you are refering to the sword, but in my statement, I was refering to the vals.

charlie

Quote from: guck on August 30, 2014, 10:25:00 AM
Do you mean that it shoul be pretty much against the rear glass.  It's about a mid point at the moment.  I can move it back further.
I have a feeling you are refering to the sword, but in my statement, I was refering to the vals.
My bad  :-[
Not against the glass but behind you dwarf sag & other plants.
Regards

guck

I think it's time to post update on this tank. 

Mike L

lucius

charlie

guck

Thank you all.  Must admit I kind of like it too.   ;D  That's why I emptied my 25g and started it all over.  It was an ugly one.