New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fungus on Cichlid

Started by Freshwater Rookie, July 04, 2014, 11:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freshwater Rookie

My very large parrot cichlid that I inherited when I purchased a 50 gallon had what I thought were scars. He had a tank mate he did not get along with and perpetually tormented. It was a banded leporinus who was miserable in the 50 g and whom I found a better home in a 130 g aquarium with an experienced owner.  This very large cichlid now has fungus on those old injury ormarks. The white fluffy kind. I am doing regular water changes and am due for one tomorrow. I just noticed the fuzz now. Nitrites and ammonia 0 and nitrates 80. Ph 7.4 to 7.6. (The nitrates were super high when I set the tank up 2 weeks ago now and this will be the 2nd or 3rd water change.  Established aquarium I purchased on kijiji with the fish. I am on a well so this next water change I will do with city water I brought home). I treated with Al's conditioner ( aloe and slime replacement?). The large upside down catfish that also came in the package seems fine.

What else can I do? I have no way to separate right now and I read that some other treatments can harm the catfish? I worry the cichlid is ultimately too large for the tank and though I give room to swim, and have not cluttered the bottom, I worry he will keep re-injuring those spots. He is around 4 inches in diameter and the catfish is about 5 inches long. They are the only fish in the tank.

Thank you!

robt18

Any medications with copper in them will kill the catfish, but these are only used for parasites.

I'd grab some Pimafix (a natural fungus medication) and dose the tank as recommended. Also keep up the water changes, they never hurt. He should be better in a week or so, and the catfish won't be affected by the meds.

Freshwater Rookie

Thank you! He seems happy. With the water change and the conditioner, there are only two small spots remaining on his head and no change since this post last week. I will look into getting what you suggested.

Again, thank you!

Freshwater Rookie

Just as an update for anyone reading this old post, it seems it was water condition-related. The tank was purchased as a mature, running setup but water changes may have not happened as often as they should have in the time leading up to my possession.  (I am only making an assumption!)  The nitrate levels were through the roof.

To date, I do at least a 40% weekly water change and vacuum the gravel. I stay away from plant roots because I vacuum frequently. The fish now look super healthy and fungus free! The downside with the healthier water chemistry is they have grown noticeably!

Hope this helps! Moral of the story....water parameters!

:)