New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Topfin 75 filter question?

Started by Ruber, July 13, 2014, 02:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruber

Hi everyone.

I have been reading around a lot since I am new to the hobby and was wondering if I should buy a canister filter instead.

But for Now My topfin 75 filter uses 2 filters with carbon.

Is it possible instead of putting carbon in my planted aquarium to use Bio Media Instead?   If so what to put in there?

Also if I do have want to keep carbon, can I use one side with Bio media and one side with Carbon?

Thanks for your help

guck

Hi Ruber.  I am new too, but I will give my thought.
Maybe you should explain why you are wondering if you should change.  If the filter does the job there is probably no reason to change. 

I have a 25g Fluval Ascent tank that has it's rather own unique filter.  I ended up removing it because it was too noisy.  I could feel the vibration on the glass.  So I bought the smallest of the Eheim canister.  Love it so far.  Extremelly quiet.  I am now setting up a 75g and put another Eheim in that one too.  Both thanks are planted, no CO2, filters have no carbon.

Some more adanced people will probably have more to say.

exv152

Carbon is generally used to remove medicine, and foul odours from your tank. It's actually not recommended for use with planted tanks as it is known to strip the tank of essential micro nutrients, nutrients the plants need. I would just stick with the mechanical and biological filter media of your choice. If you want to replace the HOB filter with something else, I would recommend an Eheim classic filter.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Ruber

Well the reason I wanted to use change is because I am having issues at the moment with my tank,   Green water,  Lights have been out for around 2 days now and I see little improuvement,    Bought a UV steriliser online and still have not received tracking for it,  so I was thinking of upgrading to a Canister filter,   the Aquatop External UV Canister Filter - CF-400 UV  3 stage.

If I was going to use filter bio media in my topfin for a couple weeks just to get it started, and then switch over the bio media in the canister not to lose everything.

This tank is around 6 month and took me for ever to get my cycle going,  and not sure what im doing so ya. lol

Pyrrolin

Topfin filters are not very good, most hob filters are not good.

The only two that I would use are aquaclear and the new fluval C series.  All of mine are aquaclears.

Because of the media used, you can save a lot of money as you can just keep reusing most of the media or even double up on bio media in place of the carbon.

Most experienced people don't use carbon but do have it on hand just in case.

Filters that use the floss bags like topfin have the huge downside of losing lots of bacteria when you have to change the media and the costs add up for replacement media.

Aquaclear sponges and bio media can last years saving hundreds over time.

A canister filter is superior to a hob filter in many ways, quieter, less maintenance and better circulation but they do cost more to buy.  If money isn't an issue, buy a canister filter for sure.  I personally like my rena due to the separate media baskets.