New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Skimmer Suggestions

Started by Salt, July 16, 2014, 03:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salt

afternoon,

I'm looking to upgrade my skimmer and wondering if the community my share some insight/suggestions.

I have a 75g reef with what i would consider a med. load and a 20g sump/fuge underneath.
looking to swap out my lousy skimmer with something new.

I'm trying to budget for less than 200$.....any thoughts?

ben_jamin

what are you currently running now? what are the issues with it ?

robt18

I've heard good things about Octopus lately.... I've seen a few tanks running them for multiple years and they looked good and healthy.

I had a coralife skimmer a while back and didn't like it. Assembly was bad and results were moderate.

Salt

I've been running a Coral life 75 and im not over pleased and kinda tired of moding to be honest.

Stussi613

I'm running a Bubble Magus on my ~150g system and it's crazy how much skim it pulls.   No messing around with it, just break it in,  dial the bubbles in and it pulls great.
I haz reef tanks.

Salt

@stuss,

Do you mind me asking which BM you were using I've been reading up them.

I think I have narrowed my search to Bubble Magus Curve, Reef Octopus 110IN orSCA 303.

Salt

BIG THANKS TO ONE OF OUR LOCAL SPONSORS FOR THE HELP TODAY.
I VE GOT MY NEW SKIMMER.

THIS THREAD CAN BE CLOSED.

NjOyRiD

what did you end up getting?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Salt

after much research and deliberation I opted to go in route of the Reef Octopus....I hummed and hawed between the 150 & 110 and in the end chose the latter.